Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Entitlement

CharlieG

Good Evening,

If I may ask a very quick question about an entitlement.

I have been researching a possible family member who was killed 01 Jul 16 at Gommecourt. His MIC states he was entitled to the 14-15 Star. My question is this - would he also have been entitled to the WM and the VM but they were just never annotated on his card as he was KIA?

Thank you

Charlie

Yes - can you give name, number and regiment please.

Keith

i had this problem with a 14-15 star i purchased some time ago,

it panned out there was 2 mic due to renumbering,

and yes he is entitled to vm and bwm

regards rob

Keith

He is 471246 Rfn William Gustave Gandar - 12 London Regiment (has a number of 3878 on his MIC)

Charlie

There is a second medal card listed under William G Gander with his other entitlement. Never trust the indexing at Ancestry, although in this case the error appears to be an original clerical one.

Keith

Keith, a typical mistake with the spelling of the surname. The correct spelling is with the "ar" and not "er". Did you get this second one from Ancestry?

Rob - looks like the same issue with this one, but with the added issue of the surname being spelled incorrectly! As Keith says, never trust the indexing at Ancestry - a VERY useful lesson learned on my behalf

Thank you

Charlie

Rob,

Bought it a few weeks ago when I started researching WG Gandar - started reading it a few days ago - fascinating book. Well worth the purchase. There is so much to try and understand, or rather to try to get your head around!!

Thank you for your help

Charlie

Just to put it in the simplest form possible:

The 1914 and 1914-15 Stars were not awarded singly. So if you have one - or documentary proof of one - to a recipient, it can be safely assumed that the BWM and VM followed.

If a man did not qualify for a 1914 or 1914-15 Star, he did not see service in a theatre of war before 1916.

Like the 1914 Star, the 1914-15 Star was not awarded alone. The recipient had to have received the British War Medal and the Victory Medal. (As stated above).

The combination of a Star, Victory Medal and War Medal was fairly commonplace (more than 2.5m trios were issued). This combination earned for itself the common nickname, "Pip, Squeak and Wilfred".

KB ;)