Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Another SMLE Question

Killratio

Another question if I may:

The early 1916 Lithgow has solid front sight protectors as I would expect but the rear sight protectors are the solid, non-lightened ones.

British rifles I have seen from about the same time have the lightened version with a counter-sink about the size of an Australian five cent coin.

Can anyone tell me if the solid could be right or have they been changed over?

I have a set of the countersunk ones on a 1917 which is a bit of a "collage" of bits anyway. So I can change them over if it would be more "original"

Thanks again

Darryl

Darryl,

I have a 1913 dated (all Matching numbers) with a countersunk back sight protector.

I have a peddle scheme dated 1918 with solid back sight protector

and again all matching numbers.

Joe Sweeney

Thanks Gents,

The consensus seems to be that there is no consensus. That was the idea I got from seeing a few pictures and actual rifles.

Problem out here is that most of these rifles saw two world wars and Korea (apparently we never used the No4) and were in service right up to 1960 odd...so very rare to find one that is "original". Hoping that the sight is also matching but that will need to wait till I strip it.

Unless I find evidence that it has been changed when I strip it down, I think I'll leave it as is.

It is a real find though, 12 Battalion was one of the first raised in Australia on declaration of war, was the first Australian Battalion ashore 25/4/15 and was 25% West Aussies.

Many thanks for your help, cheers

Darryl