Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CEDRIC and MINNEKHADA

Borden Battery

I am also looking for information on the following two ships [CEDRIC and MINNEKHADA] which carried the 2nd Canadian Motor Machine Gun Brigade back to Canada. The MINNEKHADA is of particular interest.

I do not have any details on the departing port .... and assume the destination port was Halifax, Nova Scotia versus Montreal, Quebec. Any details on the ports of call?

=========================

Here is an excerpt from the 2CMMGB War Diary

Tue., Apr 29, 1919 CAMP SEAFORD, SUSSEX, ENGLAND

2nd Canadian Motor Machine Gun Brigade

Duty Battery of the Day – “E” Battery.

Dispersal Area Parade and thorough inspection of all arms.

Notification received from H.Q., Canadians, Seaford, that the sailing of the “CEDRIC” was postponed until May 9th, but that accommodation had been obtained for the Brigade on the “MINNEKHADA” was due to sail on May 3rd.

--- signed Lieut.-Colonel Henry F. Meurling

=========================

Regards

- Dwight Mercer, Regina, Canada

Dwight,

Some basics on the two ships.

CEDRIC, a liner of the White Star Line, Liverpool. Built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast, completed 1903. Sistership of CELTIC. 697 feet by 75 feet, twin screw, quadruple expansion engines, two funnels, 21,035 grt, 16 knots. Armed merchant cruiser, December 1914, troopship 1915 - 1919. Broken up at Inverkeithing 1932.

A link: http://www.greatoceanliners.net/cedric.html

MINNEKAHDA (note correct spelling), a liner most associated with the Atlantic Transport Line. Built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast. Laid down in 1914 as a two-funnelled liner, but work delayed during the war. 646 feet by 66 feet, triple screw combination expansion engine and turbine,17,221 grt (postwar, as a liner), 16 knots. Completed 1917 as a cargo ship without superstructure. Transferred to American registry in 1920 and converted to carry emigrants by 1924 was operating as a tourist class ship. laid up at New York 1931, broken up Dalmuir 1936.

A postcard of her is at http://www.cosmoclub.net/bm/bmimages/pc50-bm.jpg

Best wishes,

Michael

Seeing the name Minnekahda was a surprise!Many years ago I purchased the WW2 Belgian Croix de Guerre Group of a Donkeyman,William J. Long,MN,When I later researched his Mercantile Service The "Minnekahda" was his first Ship,served on in 1919!So it was great to see a Picture of the Ship,Thanks!

Hello Harry

Could you confirm your Donkeyman, William J. Long, MN would have been on the ship on 9 May 1919 when my late Grandfather would have been sailing back to Canada?

Can you explain the term "Donkeyman" and what is the designation "MN" - Merchant Navy?

I would be interested in a brief summary of his history during WWII - if this is not too much trouble.

Regards

- Dwight Mercer

Hi I will sort out the Documentation I have on Him & post it here shortly.

MN is indeed Merchant Navy,Antecedants of the Mercantile Marine

Donkeyman was I believe an Engine room worker involved I presume in the "Donkey work"!! The Hard Graft

Joseph William Long{MN:ID #:422317} was born 3rd October 1897 @ Wynfields Cottage,Horndon On The Hill;Essex,Son Of Daniel & Emily Long.

His 1st Ship was the Minnekadha which he joined on 13th May 1919,so he must have been on the same ship @ the Same time!,during Her trip to Canada,until 14th June 1919,with Number:136369,He then served on the Concordia from August 1919,for Two trips{second in June 1920}before joining the Sithonia in August 1920.Prior to WW2 his last Ship was the Concordia[1935]He then returned to Land And became a General Scrap Dealer until 27th June 1941 When he joined the Merchant Navy Ship:Foremost 22;as Fireman,serving for nearly 3 months before joining the Jellicoe Rose on March 6th 1942,August 1st found him aboard the Empire Pakeha for a stint of 6 months,then the Baron,[9.03.43~15.06.43]Authority [1.02.44~15.02.44]Cap Cantin{Fireman & Trimmer}[22.02,44~17.05.44]Axinite[03.06.44~1209.44]Then the SS.Sambalt{the Ship he was serving on when he won his Croix de Guerre en Palme,as Fireman},[14.10.44~28.03.45]His last Ship was SS Sovac[27.04.45~16.06.45],as Donkeyman Greaser}The Croix de Guerre was awarded to Him[The Skipper was awarded the Order of Leopold II & C de G]for his part in the Rescue of 50 Belgian Seamen in the North Sea,after their Ship was Torpedoed.{The Skipper's Awards were Gazetted,But Strangely Joseph's Wasnt but I have the Original Award Document from the Board Of Trade in 1948 & The Citation From The Belgian Minister Of Defense I obtained from the Belgian Government in 1981,which gives the date of award as 16th January 1947,No:3424;Which Reads:~"Le Courage et Bravoure dont il fait preuve du Prince Regent No:3424 du battailles qui ont amene' la Liberation de la Belgique",Joe Died ofA Heart Attack Following Health Problems on 7th April 1972.Apart From The Croix de Guerre {Belgium} he earned the 1939~45 Star Atlantic Star with France & Germany Clasp & BWM 1939~1945.He had NO WW1 service awards,& I have been unable ,as yet to discover his Occupation prior to 1919,He May well have been on Inshore/Home Waters Shipping Service.

Thanks Harry ...

Thanks for the detailed information Joseph William Long and confirming his first trip was most likely on the ship that brought my late Grandfather [Pte. Mercer] home to Canada. I guess one might speculate they may have seen each other ... they would have been the same age.

Also, thank you again to everyone else who provided some insightful information on this little story.

Regards

Dwight Mercer, Regina, Canada