Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th Loyal Nth Lancs & 4th KRRC Diaries

Tim Wright

Hi. I am researching 3 brothers for a family I am guiding in early April, they are 12174 George Castle 4th Batt KRRC KIA 25/5/1915, 34267 John Castle 8th Batt Loyal Nth Lancs KIA 18/7/1917 & 10015 Fred Castle of the Coldstream Guards KIA 29/10/1914.I was wondering if anyone has the war diaries for the 8th LNL & the 4th KRRC and would kindly let me have a copy. I have tried the forum list but neither battalion appears.Many thanks.Tim.

Tim

No diaries, but I have the history of the Loyals at home and can check for details if nobody else replies.

Tim

No diaries, but I have the history of the Loyals at home and can check for details if nobody else replies.

Many thanks Stephen. I will keep that in mind. Kind regards. Tim.

Tim

Taken from the Loyal's History.....

9th July 1917

"The Battalion commenced its move on 6th July and on the evening of the 9th, took up positions in Ypres.

Four days were spent in Ypres, were all roads and approaches and gun positions were constantly and heavily shelled, while a number of casualties were caused by gas shells, and the Battalion had here its first experience of the new 'mustard gas' employed by the Germans.

On the night of 14th-15th, the Battalion went up to the right sub-sector of the Brigade front and on the 18th a raid was carried out by one hundred men of "C" Company under 2nd Lts H Brown and S D Appleby, the objective being the enemy's front line and support trenches known as 'Ignorance' and 'Support' Trenches, and the idea being to capture Germans, destroy trenches and secure identifications.

The raid started at 10:30 p.m. and reached the German trenches, which were, however, found to be unoccupied. The dug-outs were bombed and the enemy then put down a heavy barrage on his own front and support lines, causing many casualties amount the raiding party, 2nd Lt Appleby and two men being killed, while 2nd Lt Brown and nineteen other ranks were wounded and 11 men missing."

I note from CWGC that 13 men of the Battalion are recorded as casualties on that date, including John Castle.

I suppose if you get a Trench map and identify those German trenches, you'll be close to identifying where Pte Castle fell.

Hope this helps