Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcard family Cap Badge id please

ATNOMIS

Pals

Bought this postcard I've started to collect family groups.

This picture stood out how young the chaps look. Plus the daughter has a watch on with a cover on it and elder brother lost to the war.

The chap standing Queens Regiment? The chap sitting ??

Thanks in advance

Regards

Simon

boysscan_zpsd6416531.jpg

boysscancapbadge_zps8dc51060.jpg

Hi Simon,

The guy at the top of the picture appears to be The Queen's Royal West Surrey Regt., the other ?? not sure.

Robert

Hi Simon,

The guy at the top of the picture appears to be The Queen's Royal West Surrey Regt., the other ?? not sure.

Robert

Robert

Cheers

Frogsmile might know.

Simon

Is it the Royal Coat of Arms, worn by Labour units?

Is it the Royal Coat of Arms, worn by Labour units?

Do you mean the General Service badge? Yes, it certainly could be, but it didn't look quite right, must be the distorted image that makes it look odd!!

Not a big expert but could the soldier at the front be wearing the badge of the Manchester Regiment ,it is a similar shape and design to the Labour units,

Shane

The badge worn by the soldier at the front could be Lincolnshire Yeomanry, it is the same shape but indistinct details make ID difficult.

Rob

Anything on the reverse of the postcard ?

The Queens and 22nd/24th Londons', as is well known, shared the 'Paschal Lamb' so some latitude is available for the Private to the back. As to the young lad in the front although the Ornithologist's rule should be applied (it's always the most obvious unless explicit evidence to the contrary exists; therefore suggesting Labour Corps/GS) he does look young, the uniform doesn't look quite right and the cap badge seems strange; as if the Lion and the unicorn are both out-facing.

In short, for me, nothing counted in, nothing counted out.

Tim

Badge for "General List," i.e., those awaiting allocation per Cox Military Badges of the British Empire 1914-1918. Looks like a match to me for the man in the front of original pic.

c58c1ff64ba1.jpg

Just for my info. is the man standing have signaller's badge on lower left sleeve?

Well spotted.

Just for my info. is the man standing have signaller's badge on lower left sleeve?

Very good spot.

Thanks

Simon