Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Remembering The 'Incomparable 29th'. 10th March 2013

Mark88

A bitterly cold day, complete with snow and a driving, icy wind saw hardy and not so hardy souls assemble to Remember the 98th Anniversary of the 29th Division's inspection by King George V before their embarkation for the Dardanelles.

Their Memorial, as many know, is located in the centre of a traffic island on the A45 at Stretton-on-Dunsmore, Warwickshire, at precisely the point where it is bisected by the Fosse Way.

We have known of this event for some time, but I always managed to remember when it was too late! Earlier this year, my better half noticed reference to this year's event on a well-known social networking site, so at last we were able to attend.

My reason? Maternal Grandfather, 4th Worcesters, 88th Brigade who joined the Division in December 1916 and remained until a shrapnel wound to the head sent him home – temporarily- in May of the following year. When fit, he was posted to another battalion of the Worcesters in another division.

Despite the bitter conditions, the entire proceedings went smoothly, and were also attended by a Lady Mayoress, Standard Bearers, and reenactors from the London Rifles, on this day representing the 8th Battalion Hampshire Regiment; the Isle of Wight Rifles. Also the Great war Society, among whose shoulder titles I saw Middlesex, East Lancs and an Argyll RGA Territorial. Apologies if I have missed any.

After assembling outside the Brandon and Wolston Village Hall, the Hampshires mounted an Honour Guard on the village War Memorial, just over the way, where the GWS lads duly paid Tribute in a very correct and soldierly manner, which matched that of the Hampshires, heads bowed, rifles inverted, guarding the Memorial.

This completed, the reenactors set off on a 2-mile march to the Divisional Memorial, we jumped back into the car, frozen and glad of its warmth! A short distance out of the village, we passed the reenactors, whose officer had them drawn up in a sunken lane as we drove by. This was an unexpectedly evocative sight, and I regret we were not quick enough to take a photograph of this scene.

All gathered at the Memorial, and the hip flask of Irish whiskey, flavoured with Irish Mist, which was passed to us by one of the Standard Bearers was very much appreciated and came just in time! After some moments, the reenactors appeared and took their positions around the Memorial. They too were chilled to the bone, and were grateful for the bottle of Lamb's Navy Rum that passed between them as they gathered.

Words were spoken even though snatched away by the wind, wreaths laid and standards dipped in salute, then raised at the Reveille. All of this was very much appreciated, as for me these proceedings were personal.

The reenactors fell out and marched off in a soldierly manner, we civilians, again, bolted for the warmth of our vehicles and headed back to Wolston and the Rose & Crown public house!

After regaining feeling in our extremities, a most convivial and enjoyable few hours ensued, where the conversation revolved around absolutely nothing other than The Great War! Most enjoyable.

I thank those reenactors who braved the cold with us - we felt that they acted throughout in a most appropriate manner and struck absolutely the right note. I did make a special point of thanking them before we left, as the proceedings would, I feel, have been the poorer for their absence.

Below are some of the pictures we were able to take in the brief moments when we could actually feel the ends of our fingers!

Our sincere thanks to all concerned for a most moving and evocative day.

DSCF2984.jpg

DSCF2986copy.jpg

DSCF2997.jpg

DSCF3069.jpg

http://i1119.photobu...21/DSCF3080.jpg

Many thanks for the above

& for the link to the other pictures of the event to be seen on Photobucket

Well done all who took part

Thanks for the post and photos - that was the Great War Society who undertook the march between the two sites in full service marching order. You've got two photos including me there - I was the one that laid the wreath at the 29th Division Memorial, an honour to do so as my great-grandfather landed at Gallipoli on 16th September 1915. His unit, the Argyll Battery, is of course on the memorial as the men of the Argyll Battery and Ross Battery that landed on 25th April were also present on the day of the inspection. It's an event the society has done for many years, and not the first year it's snowed at the memorial either!

It was myself wearing the Argyll Battery, TF RGA shoulder titles and cap badge in the pub after - on the march I was Middlesex Regiment though, quickly swapping as I put my webbing and SMLE in the car before returning to the pub!

Gentlemen - Many thanks for your responses; am glad that you found the post of interest.

Rob - I was the one in the Rose & Crown who you were talking to about your Great Grandfather - you showed us his photographs and we were discussing his medals if you recall. As Michael has pointed out, there is a link to more pictures on Photobucket, did you take a look at those?

I did speak also to your officer, Trevor Poole, and later today I will be emailing him all the pictures we took, in case he should find them of either public or private use. If you want to PM me with your email address, I will do the same for you if you wish.There are quite a few of you there.

It was a most moving day in many ways - perhaps especially for the likes of you and I who had relatives in the 29th Division.

Kind Regards,

Mark.

A picture of the Dedication panel of the Memorial, plus some others for interest.

DSCF3014.jpg

29th Division Memorial, slap in the centre of a traffic island on the main A45 Birmingham - Northampton road at Stretton-on Dunsmore.

DSCF2993.jpg

Wolston Village War Memorial. I think all these chaps put up a fine show.

DSCF3050.jpg

29th Division Memorial. Standard Bearers, reenactors and members of the public await the word to begin proceedings.

29th Division Memorial. Standard Bearers, reenactors and members of the public await the word to begin proceedings.

I think that I also recognise the head and shoulders on The Secretary of The Gallipoli Association in the last photograph; Mr James Watson Smith usually represents the GA at this event and lays a wreath on their behalf.

I think that I also recognise the head and shoulders on The Secretary of The Gallipoli Association in the last photograph; Mr James Watson Smith usually represents the GA at this event and lays a wreath on their behalf.

Michael, I was aware from their website that this was going to be attended by The Gallipoli Association, and did mean to try and speak to them. It is no credit to me that I did not do this, and bolted with the others for the warmth of our vehicles when the Tribute was over. Have other pictures taken around the Memorial - later I will post some and you may perhaps see him more clearly and recognise others you know, if any.

Out of interest how/why did the 29th earn the name Incomporable.

Its like the 7th Div. being called ther Immortal. I've never learned the source of that either.

Out of interest how/why did the 29th earn the name Incomporable.

Very probably, it is taken from General Sir Ian Hamilton's Special Order of the Day (29th June 1915)

"The General Officer Commanding feels sure that he voices the sentiments of every soldier serving in this army when he congratulates the incomparable 29th Division upon yesterday's splendid attack, carried out as it was in a manner more than upholding the best traditions of the distinguishes regiments of which it is composed. Etc., etc., etc."

my emphasis

Was hoping you would come up and answer that one, Michael.

Hello Michael - a couple more taken during the Service, Is your friend from the Gallipoli Association shown?DSCF3078.jpg

DSCF3054.jpg

I would love to attend this Memorial service in the future but work usually gets in the way

shame about the bottles........

Ahah - not sure about what looks like a water bottle on the right, but at least one of the rum ones was initially handed to us Great War Society lads that had just done the march as we came onto the roundabout, and very welcome it was too

Here's a few taken during the march to and from the memorial from Wolston village;

a24_zpsaa954c43.jpg

a25_zps11441921.jpg

a30_zpsce57cbc0.jpg

Michael, I was aware from their website that this was going to be attended by The Gallipoli Association, and did mean to try and speak to them. It is no credit to me that I did not do this, and bolted with the others for the warmth of our vehicles when the Tribute was over. Have other pictures taken around the Memorial - later I will post some and you may perhaps see him more clearly and recognise others you know, if any.

Yep, that's Mr Watson Smith - Mark, I have the e-mail address for him if you'd like to e-mail him or Steve Chambers etc regarding photos for the website/Gallipoli Association newsletter.

Best regards, Rob

Rob - Many thanks for posting the pictures and your comments. It might be a good idea to send Mr. Watson Smith some pictures, so his email would be appreciated. Thank you.

Sepoy - Strange, but while I was there I never noticed those bottles at all, but immediately I got the pictures up on to the computer I saw them! The GWS lads certainly needed their contents, though - it was absolutely freezing!

When marching out of Wolston I noticed a street called John Simpson Road (or avenue etc) - possibly named after the South Shields man with a donkey?

• 7 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...