Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

East and West sandling Camps Shorncliffe Kent.

shorncliffe

I am trying to locate a map of the following camps in Kent around the Shorncliffe/Folkestone area during WW1 for a local project I am doing for a display in 2014.

Some of the camps were huts erected during WW1 the others were tented but I would like to find maps they show the layout of them.

The ones that I am looking for are East and West Sandling Camps, Otterpool Camp, Westenhanger Camp, St Martins Plain and Dibgate Camp.

Have tried a few local sources but with no success so just hoping some somewhere may have copies.

Thank you

Peter.

• 2 years later...
Guest pluto44

Hello, a 1916 photo (postcard) showing Sandling railway station near Hythe Kent with Sandling East Camp in the background on the hilltop,

Hope this helps you.post-121281-0-53481100-1433705090_thumb.

That's a good card that ticks boxes for collectors: railway station, traction engine, army camp.

Peter: I hope you got your maps in the end. You could have tried

this site

for maps that may show outlines of camps. And 15 years ago I consulted rather heavy bound volumes of 6in maps surveyed just after the Great War and held at the National Archives.

Moonraker

• 8 years later...
On 10/03/2013 at 15:40, shorncliffe said:

I am trying to locate a map of the following camps in Kent around the Shorncliffe/Folkestone area during WW1 for a local project I am doing for a display in 2014.

Some of the camps were huts erected during WW1 the others were tented but I would like to find maps they show the layout of them.

The ones that I am looking for are East and West Sandling Camps, Otterpool Camp, Westenhanger Camp, St Martins Plain and Dibgate Camp.

Have tried a few local sources but with no success so just hoping some somewhere may have copies.

Thank you

Peter.

Hello Peter, 

Forgive me if 10 yrs late is too late but, I have been looking into Sandling Camp as it is where a Great Uncle of mine trained. Here is a website and treasure trove of maps photos etc of Sandling; https://www.saltwoodkent.co.uk/discovery-of-ww1-practice-trenches

Cheers

Jim