Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadian WW1 Long Range Gun?

GrandsonMichael

Hi all,

Could someone please identify this big gun?

The photo was most likely taken around 1923 and possibly at a P.P.C.L.I. base in Winnipeg.

Thanks a lot.

Cheers,

Michael

I am very tiring, I admit it, especially to myself.... :(

Here is the photo....I hope:

post-23-1094417170.jpg

It looks German to me, particularly the shape of the recuperator. With the curved lower end of the shield, I would think this is a Krupp 10cm Kanone.

Robert

I would say that it is a 105mm M1917 . Calibre 105mm Weight 3200Kg( Could only be moved as two seperate units i.e. barrel and carriage. Effective range 14,100m Muzzle Velocity 650m per sec. 192 of this version were manufactured and issued.

John

Robert and John,

Thanks for your input, but it does sort of confuse me... :D

Could you possibly point me in the direction of some websites concerning

your replies?

Thanks and cheers,

Michael

Wow Peter!

That's some website....I'm going to nose around extensively.

Much obliged.

Cheers,

Michael

Thanks for your input, but it does sort of confuse me

Michael

Basically we are saying the same thing. The gun is a medium calibre German artillery piece. It will have been captured, probably in the last 100 days of the war. The unit that captured it will have written on the gun in chalk at the time - maybe the unit came from the area.

Robert

Hmm, I thought the collection shown below had one but can't find it at the moment.

Points for those who know where this collection is (family & friends, including Michael, are not allowed to enter the competition :D )

forum39.jpg

Regards,

Marco

Basically we are saying the same thing. The gun is a medium calibre German artillery piece. It will have been captured, probably in the last 100 days of the war. The unit that captured it will have written on the gun in chalk at the time - maybe the unit came from the area.

Robert

Thanks Robert,

I see what you mean and certainly after visiting the website Peter mentioned. There is indeed a photo of a 'shorter' version compared to the one I posted.

I sent an Email to the guys who run that website and they seem rather pleasant..... ;)

Well, they just got a new batch of photos which were going to be researched to see if 'mine'is amongst them.....jolly good fellows I think, apart from the fact that I have just been excluded from the contest, grrrrrr....

On the other hand the name seems familiar somehow and I suppose being mentioned after family and friends can't be too bad... :P

Cheers,

Michael

Thanks Egbert

Whereabouts did you take the photo? The camoflague pattern looks like a more modern interpretation. Do you know if it was original?

Robert

Jeepers,

Once more the members of the Forum prove how great the collective (knowledge) is.

Thanks Egbert for both the specifications and photos. Very impressive.

Much obliged,

Michael