Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identify Regiment in this group photo?

arboskittler

An interesting feature here - note the cap worn worn by the lad in the middle rear - well many years ago I was flitting through the North Eastern Railway Magazine for 1914 and noticed some members of the N.E.R., who had been called up as Reservists wore this type of unusual cap , when serving with the Railway Operating Department, Royal Engineers.

An interesting feature here - note the cap worn worn by the lad in the middle rear - well many years ago I was flitting through the North Eastern Railway Magazine for 1914 and noticed some members of the N.E.R., who had been called up as Reservists wore this type of unusual cap , when serving with the Railway Operating Department, Royal Engineers.

I think that the chap in the middle front also has the same cap and both appear? to have darker uniforms--or is it just my eyes?

Robert

Just to add some more now that RE has been identified.......................I've now traced a record on Ancestry (my Grandmothers brother). It's a 'Duty Certificate' and noted with the number "B'ham E z M/5" for the RE Defence Force (April 1921).

Why a Defence Force (presumably based in Birmingham)?.

Edited by arboskittler

--or is it just my eyes?

If so mine too Robert!

John

Graham

A comment that's tickled an old trout.

I've two unrelated R.E photographs that I've never quite nailed but have always intrigued.

The first always seemed to me to be ROD locomotive drivers; if only for the informality of the small cap and the ad hoc fatigues.

The second I suspect may have been guards on the Bordon Line (smart attire, strange caps, blue (?) uniform, RE badge and a Hampshire photo).

As always, would be grateful of your observations.

Tim

I am aware of the 'Brodrick Cap' chappie which I take to be ASC and railway related.

post-53823-0-99132500-1363118184_thumb.j

post-53823-0-39237500-1363118313_thumb.j

There's quite a few photos about of ROD men in blue uniforms. These were issued early on due to a shortage of khaki but the men who had them seemed to keep them for the duration.

There's quite a few photos about of ROD men in blue uniforms. These were issued early on due to a shortage of khaki but the men who had them seemed to keep them for the duration.

The pictured men in blue are NCO's smartly turned out - not wearing the baggy blue serge. Caps are decidedly different.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add some more now that RE has been identified.......................I've now traced a record on Ancestry (my Grandmothers brother). It's a 'Duty Certificate' and noted with the number "B'ham E z M/5" for the RE Defence Force (April 1921).

Just to add to the mystery, the duty certificate reads to me as he 'never served' previously in HM forces so I'm wondering why he would have been taken on?

Any offers?

Cheers,

Andy.

post-72598-0-48221500-1364066605_thumb.j