Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Which regiment is featured in this final photo?

sutton-in-craven

Hi, this photo came from a relative of 40902 Pte Albert Akrigg who joined the Sherwood Foresters (Nott's Derby regt) around Sept 1916.

By January 1917 he had been transferred to the Norfolk Reg't. I'm not sure what relevance this photo has to Albert Akrigg, if any?

I'm wanting to know the unit or regiment represented in this Great War group photo please?

Many thanks for any help or suggestions, regards Andrew

post-47732-0-44734100-1362790171_thumb.j

post-47732-0-27078800-1362790178_thumb.j

To me it looks like a group photograph of a course, with men from several regiments and some appear to wearing no cap badges. Three sergeants in the photo also suggests a course photo.

Cheers

Chris

Hi Andrew,

They appear to be Duke of Wellington's although some do not appear to have badges--probably an early photo of a service battalion company?

Robert

Very few would be called "young", most look fairly mature. I wonder if that might push the date back towards the introduction of conscription at least?

Keith

The officer is definitely Dukes, the collar badge on his left collar is quite distinctly Dukes. The young sergeant to his left(right as you look at the photo) is wearing the Dukes badge and interestingly the more mature sergeant to his left is wearing the QSA and KSA ribbons.

If this picture has come from the Craven area? then I would think that this photo relates to either the 9th or 10th Service Bns Dukes as both these Bns were raised in and around this area. Unfortunately I cannot identify the officer but I still think that this photo dates from either late 1914 or early 1915--but of course I could be mistaken.

Robert

Hi Robert (old owl), well spotted with the QSA,KSA ribons on the Sgt's uniform :-)

Once again this photo came from a relative of 40902 Pte Albert Akrigg who joined the Sherwood Foresters (Nott's Derby regt) around Sept 1916. By January 1917 Albert had been transferred to the Norfolk Reg't. So it's looking very much like there is no link between this photo and Pte Albert Akrigg,

Unfortunately there is no indication to say where this photo was taken, so it could have been taken in the Skipton Craven area of North Yorkshire, or equally it could have been taken elsewhere. But I take your point Robert that a few Duke's badges points to the photo possibly being taken in the Craven area.

I guess I was also hoping (a slim chance) that someone else on this forum may recognise this large group photo as I imagine it would have been widely distibuted at the time, possibly with names of all the individuals on the back - how good would that be!

Anyway, thanks everybody for your thoughts, much appreciated. Regards Andrew