Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Clasps on German Medals

DavoT

Hi all,

further to a previous post on the medal group attached, was it commonplace to have clasps attached to the ribands? I recently acquired this group but had never seen clasps affixed before. Could they have been added by the recipient? They are YSER and YPERN. Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

David

post-27290-0-20182100-1362739378_thumb.j

• 4 months later...

Hello David, I cant offer any advice apart from a picture of a medal group that I have had for the past 30 years. A Prussian Naval Officers group who did some serious fighting judging by the bars. Cheers Ed

post-7898-0-58042700-1373715222_thumb.jp

From what I have been able to determine, German campaign medals of the Great War (exception Frontkampfer Kreuz) were essentially able to be purchased through membership of the various veterans associations, likewise so were the 'bars', As far as I know the veteran determined for himself what his entitlement was. During the Weimar period the proliferation of associations went unchecked. It wasn't until the third reich period of administration that the wearing of unofficial medals was discouraged, this resulted in the issuance of the Frontkampfer Medal that collectors often refer to as the Hindenburg Cross. The clasps are a rather nice addition to any set of German medals.

khaki