Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New Here :) I'm looking for German immigrant interned in the UK by

BrownKat

Hi there I just signed up, please forgive me if I am not slick at this.

I'm not sure how to trace the history of my Great Grandfather Jacob Sander, born 1875 in Germany, interned in England somewhere unknown during 1WW, He likely moved to the UK around 1900 (estimate) and married my Great Gran (also German) in 1903 Islington London (have the records and home address for his business).

I have traced all civilian records on them, his German name was Jakob Sander born may 1875, hers was Katarina Sannwald (later Katherine Sander). He was a hairdresser in London (as was his father before him) and rumor has it the were of gypsy decent. Not sure if I believe it.

Anyway my Mum says he was interned during the war, not sure where and that he had red hair and a red beard and was a little eccentric.

Can anyone tell me where I can search records by name on Germans interned in the UK? Or learn how to search specific resources to solve the mystery?

Thanks so very much for your time, it's greatly appreciated,

Katherine.

Hi there I just signed up, please forgive me if I am not slick at this.

I'm not sure how to trace the history of my Great Grandfather Jacob Sander, born 1875 in Germany, interned in England somewhere unknown during 1WW, He likely moved to the UK around 1900 (estimate) and married my Great Gran (also German) in 1903 Islington London (have the records and home address for his business).

I have traced all civilian records on them, his German name was Jakob Sander born may 1875, hers was Katarina Sannwald (later Katherine Sander). He was a hairdresser in London (as was his father before him) and rumor has it the were of gypsy decent. Not sure if I believe it.

Anyway my Mum says he was interned during the war, not sure where and that he had red hair and a red beard and was a little eccentric.

Can anyone tell me where I can search records by name on Germans interned in the UK? Or learn how to search specific resources to solve the mystery?

Thanks so very much for your time, it's greatly appreciated,

Katherine.

Hi Katherine, and welcome!

Where in Germany was he from? Do you have a more precise DOB for him?

-Daniel

Hi

from 1911 cenus occupation Hairdresser

Name: Jacob Sander Spouse: Katherine Sander Birth: abt 1876 - Germany Residence:

2 Apr 1911 - Clerkenwell St James and Clerkenwell St John, London, England

Terry Barrett

West Aust

Hi Brownkat

further to my post

Address: 4 Amwell St, Clerkenwell, Holborn

Family: Jacob Sander 35 Katherine Sander 36 Hilde Sander 7 Elsie Sander 5 Irene Sander 4 Edith Sander

All from 1911 Cenus

Terry Barrett

West Aust

Jakob Sander Event Type: Marriage Event Date: 22 Jan 1903 Church: German Evangelical Church Burough: Islington County: Middlesex Father: Jak Sander Spouse: Katharina Sannwald Spouse Father: Johan Sannwald

Marriage 1903

Hi there all!!! wow that was an amazingly fast return on information. But yes I do know about the Clerkenwell info etc. But he is the one family member who dissapears after that.

HIs birth date

Is 11th May 1975 (11 Mai 1975)

Transcript for thte doc you mention:

on the 22nd of january,1903

afternoon, 2 o´clock

married by

pastor a. scholter (or scholten)

nr. 265

Jakob Sander - hairdresser

to Geasdernheim, Rheinhessen (Gadernheim exits)

and Katharina Sannwald

to Schmiedefeld, Lützbach

a/a Gaildorf Württemberg (exists)

Jakob Sander: 11th of May 1875

Katharina Sanwwalld (maiden name): 25th of December 1874

Jakl Sander - hairdresser (his fsther) and Emil Witte.... ( his mother)

Johan Sannwald - farmer ( her father) and Karoline Müller (her mother)

They lived in London and had 4 daughters, One whom also followed the line of Friseurs (barber/hairdressers) Apparently they had stones thrown at them i public during the war and my great grandmother stopped speaking in public as she couldn't shake the accent. Their Daughter married my Grandad (english) who went on to serve in WW2 as a navigator in flights over Germany.

I wonder were the german side Jews? or really Gypsies? I know very little of german names and family history meets profession. It may jus have been a wise move for the times to leave before the war and their profession.

thanks!

Sorry I keep posting before I finish...

Where was he Interned? and how long etc? I am very good at looking at detailed records, as long as I know where they are.

Kb:)

You need to look at what the Anglo-German Family History Society can provide.

If you would like to read about internment: the build up, the organisation, press reports, life during internment and a great deal more I can recommend

ALEXANDRA PALACE

A Hidden History

ISBN 0-7524-3636-8

I am not suggesting that your Great Grandfather was interned in the Ally Pally (N. London) or the Stratford Camp (E. London) but for an overview of the situation, particularly as it affected London (and beyond) I think you would find it very interesting.

CGM

OK great suggestions thanks, I do find it very interesting, so I will follow both paths suggested. The idea is once i get the details i want to embellish the who, where whats, with the history of the times and locations, and put this all together for my family as a personal genealogy/history book.

Thanks!

The majority, but by no means all, of the internees eventually ended up on the Isle of Man

see http://www.isle-of-m...algy/intern.htm

Ken

My GDad would have been an Alien Interned not a soldier so I believe the mainly went to the Isle of Man:

http://www.isle-of-man.com/manxnotebook/tourism/ccamp/index.htm

But I've

read most records of names were accidently destroyed likely in the 70's

• 2 months later...

I can't provide any proof but it must be possible he was at Frith Hill camp close to Aldershot at some point. A lot of London based aliens were initially placed there. Several hundred were trained in after the announcement of internment. Special trains were laid on from Waterloo to Frimley, occasionally Farnborough North. It is likely many of them ultimately ended up on IoM as previously suggested.

• 10 months later...

My GDad would have been an Alien Interned not a soldier so I believe the mainly went to the Isle of Man:

http://www.isle-of-man.com/manxnotebook/tourism/ccamp/index.htm

But I've

read most records of names were accidently destroyed likely in the 70's

I am looking for information about my German Grandfather who was interned during the first world war and do not know where to start.

Give as much information as possible - Name, abode, birth date & place for instance.

Kath.

OK great suggestions thanks, I do find it very interesting, so I will follow both paths suggested. The idea is once i get the details i want to embellish the who, where whats, with the history of the times and locations, and put this all together for my family as a personal genealogy/history book.

Thanks!

Do you have any addresses for him in Clerkenwell?