Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Is he a Gordon Highlander?

alf mcm

I am trying to identify the Regiment/Battalion of the soldier in the attached photo. It appears to be Gordon Highlanders, but the cap badge does not look right, perhaps it's just the angle the photo was taken from. All help appreciated.

Regards,

Alf McM

post-33018-0-76972000-1362562793_thumb.j

I think he is definitely a Gordon. The sporran badge is right, and I think it is just the angle of the cap badge that is a bit funny.

Patrick

Hi,

I agree with Patrick, the Glengarry badge, sporran badge, and garter flashes are all correct for Gordon Highlanders. I think from memory, the buttons on the spats have to be black, and the ones I see certainly look dark in colour.

Owain.

100% yes. Gordon. In addition to all the features mentioned (sporran badge, double belled flashes etc) kilt held by high pin is also a good indicator,

Re spats I have a couple of hundred Gordon pictures and dress white spats invariably (?) have black buttons but khaki ones vary sometimes do - often not.

As for battalion -- that is going to be difficult (probably impossible)

The presence of the Sporran usually indicates early war and almost always in the UK. He has a Service Dress Jacket which is not simplified (usually suggests early or later war) but IS tailored for sporran wear (with curved front). Tailoring of the front was done at the unit level and was supposed to stop during the war (but clearly didn't although there are lots and lots of wartime pictures of Gordons in non-tailored SD jackets - see my avatar taken in Bedford in 1914). This could be indicative of early war. He does not appear to have any shoulder brasses (single line Gordon or 3 line T/Battalion/Gordon for TF). He is also wearing a belt from an earlier period, looks like a slade-wallace leather equipment belt, so if I had to guess I would suggest this is an early war (1914 v.early 1915) picture of a recruit possibly to one of the TF or service battalions. The battalion would be a complete guess, but I would be much more confident on the date of 1914/early 15.

Chris

I agree with everyone that all uniform details clearly indicate a Gordon Highlander. I am inclined to believe that he is a soldier of a Service Bn as these Bns frequently omitted shoulder titles.

Thanks to Chris and gordon92 for the information. I had thought it was an early war uniform, but it's always good to get confirmation. The photograph was taken in Broxburn, West Lothian {Linlithgowshire at time of Great War}. The soldier's name is not known.

Regards,

Alf McM