Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6th Btn Royal West Kents at Ovillers

Deckape

Hi There

Can anyone help me with the war diaries / any maps for the above battalion for the 1st to 4th July 1916 ?

Much appreciated, thanks for your time

Nigel

Nigel - I have looked at 12 Div at Ovillers and might be able to help. What is your interest?

Best regards,

Jonathan S

Hi Jonathan

Many thanks for your quick response. I am trying to find out a little more in relation to a medal i have recently acquired to GS-10487 Private W.S.Bennett, 6th Btn RWK, KIA at Ovillers on 03/07/1916. I have been to the Ovillers area a few times and would like to find out a few more specifics around the date of his death. I understand the RWK`s had horrendous losses on the 3rd July in this area.

Look forward to your response

Kind Regards

Nigel

Nigel

Jonathan's the expert when it comes to the 6th Battalion but in the meantime Ancestry records the following (His service number is recorded as 10457):

Name: Walter Samuel Bennett Birth Place: Salisbury, Wilts Residence: Bromley, Kent Death Date: 3 Jul 1916 Death Location: France & Flanders Enlistment Location: Bromley, Kent Rank: Private Regiment: Queen's Own (Royal West Kent Regiment) Battalion: 6th Battalion Number: G/10457 Type of Casualty: Killed in action Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

Hi Nigel,

I dont no if its any help but have a look at this webiste

http://janetandrichardsgenealogy.co.uk/QORWK%20C%20T%20Atkinson.html

It has has all the chapters from a book called The Queen's Own Royal West Kent Regiment 1914 to 1918 by C T Atkinson, records what each of the battalion's was doing.

Hope it helps

Ben

• 2 years later...

Hello,

I've just started researching an ancestor's First World War service in 6 Btn RWK. He was Pte Edgar John WYATT (3235) and I believed he was in A Coy. Having seen the War Diary entry for the unit, he was killed when the trenches at Ovillers were shelled on 28th Jul 16, having marched from Louvencourt. (via Acheux, Forceville, and Martinsart Wood huts).

I would like to find out where the trenches actually were (Given as sheet 57d S.E. grids X.2.c.3.7 to X.2.d.4.4). Anyone able to give me any information or pointers? Also, I believed he died of wounds a few days later - where would the field hospital have been?

Any clues appreciated.

Thanks

Steve Wyatt