Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British Jewry book of honour look up please

high wood

Could someone with a copy of this book please look to see if J/6771 Pte Harry Kimmel is listed as serving with the 38th Btn Royal Fusiliers?

Thank you.

Can't see him in the index.

Dave

Not all that strange really. The book is far from being a complete list.

Dave

• 1 year later...

My brother and I are the grandchildren of Harry Kimmel. We were thrilled to find this forum as we have been trying to trace our history for some time. Please can you tell us how you know of him and any other information you may have. Thank you.

In the book there is a list of men (circa 1500) who were serving at the Depot of the 38th-40th Bns (Judeans) in 1919. Many of these men have numbers in the same range as Harry Kimmel, eg. 6774 Pte I.R.Israeli and 6775 Pte Morris Isenberg; also 6761 Pte Israel Braverman and even 6770 Pte M.Oleesky. Sadly there is no mention of your relative in any of the Battalions of the Judeans nor those at the Depot (circa 5000 names in total).

I cannot see any trace of a Medal Index Card nor a Service Record for him on Ancestry, but of course it is still possible that he served overseas with them--how you will prove this is a different matter.

What information do you have which leads you to believe that he did serve, apart from a service number?

Thank you for your reply.

I only discovered this information yesterday when I read the following post on this forum written in 2013. There was also a photograph attached of his identity disc -

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=191705&p=2156381

I am trying to find some information regarding J/6771 Harry Kimmel who served with the 38th Btn Royal Fusiliers in Palestine from the 5th February 1918. I have not been able to find a medal index card or any service papers. It seems that he was born in Woling, Russia in 1892 and lived at 44 Belbain Road, Birmingham in 1911. He died in Birmingham in 1953 aged 61.

Does anyone have any records or a database about the 38th Btn Royal Fusiliers who might be able check to see if there is a record of him serving overseas?

There was a Harold Kimmel who served as Sgt 56169 with the Northumberland Fusiliers and who was discharged on the 7th October 1918 having received a gun shot wound but I don't think that there is a connection between the two men.

I am afraid that I cannot help any further as others have already come up with this same result. You could however try sending a P.M. (personal message) to Forum member 'High Wood' who obviously has the disc in his possession.

You can send a P.M. by clicking on his Avatar, the left hand side of one of his postings, which will then bring up a seperate page which will give you the option to send a message to him.

Good Luck,

Robert