Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help With History and Identification of an SMLE

Kjaz

I just acquired a 1916 Enfield and I need some help with the history of the rifle. Any info on where it was made and where it might have served would be much appreciated. Please excuse my lack of knowledge on these rifles. This is my first one. The markings seem to all match, but I do not know enough to say that all the parts are original.

Thanks in advance. Here is a link to all the pictures I have right now. If you would like more I can take some.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ql5nwmzkkqjo2n6/gzSJHMp83P?m

I'm certainly no expert on these but the muzzle / foresight look like they are from a 'long' Lee Enfield. I thought by 1916 the front furniture reached almost to the end of the muzzle and the foresight assembly was mounted on the front furniture. I will no doubt be proved wrong by those in the know about these things so look forward to an answer from an expert.

I think it started life as a standard SMLE Mk.III* made by BSA at Small Heath. At some point it was sporterised by stripping the woodwork from the forward end. The foresight and muzzle look original but no longer covered by the nose cap and adjoining furniture.

Regards,

MikB

Just realised there is a full length photo on the link, I think MikB is correct and the woodwork has been chopped. Wierd looking thing innit. Is it a deac or are you firing it?

I just found it at a gun auction. It was represented to be in firing condition. By that I mean it was not indicated to be non functioning. The metal work all seems to be in good condition. The bolt and the fireing pin seem to function. I do not know whether or not to try it out. I am pretty inexperienced with older rifles so any tips or pointers would be great.

Well, I would suggest a visit to a suitable qualified armourer / gunsmith first. They can check the tolerances and bench fire it safely for you. Can I assume that as you purchased it by auction that you are a resident of the Americas?

Yes, I live near Toledo, Ohio USA..

I will definitely take that advice. I don't want to have the gun explode when I pull the trigger. And living in America I have plenty of other guns to shoot. I actually picked up another Enfield at the same auction which seems to be a later vintage although that is guesswork based on google searches.

Firing the rifle is not that high of a priority. I bought it more for the historical value. I have been doing some searches on the different markings. From what I can tell it seems to have been made for the Gurkha Rifles division. There appears to be a G1 underneath a crown with all of those markings on the outside of the chamber (shooters left on the rifle). Could that be a 1st regiment mark?

I think you will find that it is "GR"; George Rex, King George, in whose reign the rifle was manufactured.

Its very common to find SMLEs like this in the US

it is kindly known as "sporterizing" (less kindly - being butchered by Bubba)

The logic is sound -- most of these date from the days when surplus bolt actions were plentiful and cheap (you could still get surplus SMLEs for $35.00 in the mid 90s) they are accurate and reliable but also heavy, so if they are to be used as a hunting rifle (one or two shots at a time only) then all that extra wood around the barrel is just extra weight to lug into the field so -- chop it off. Some of these are done quite well and the forend shaped etc - on some the wood is hacked off without even removing the action (and there are saw marks on the barrel to prove it)

All the parts to restore it to its original format are relatively easily available -- although full length fore-ends are getting scarce and pricey and will usually need proper fitting.

If you are looking to restore it - you can get the parts from Springfield Sporters in Penn Run Pa (google him) - reliable seller who I have used for years.

Here is a quick explanation of most of the markings. (yes GR = Georgius Rex) BSA = Brimingham Small Arms...

Chris

Thank you for the link. It looks like there is some great info in there. I am taking some time to read through it right now.

I have bookmarked the Springfield Sporters site that I found. I may be looking to restore the rifle at some point.