Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform identification help needed please. O.T.C.?

high wood

It should be easy to identify this soldier as he has signed the postcard. However, I suspect that he may have been in a Scottish University O.T.C. when this photograph was taken. His shoulder title appears to have an E as the last letter. I have checked the medal index cards and his name doesn't appear.

Any help gratefully received.

post-6480-0-69077800-1362334964_thumb.jp

post-6480-0-51897600-1362334979_thumb.jp

Looks like a simplified pattern jacket (but tailored skirts) and a webbing version of the 1903 Pattern belt that might help with dating as IIRC the latter was introduced mid war....off to karkee web to check!

Chris

edit

list of changes 1917 for the belt.

Looks like a simplified pattern jacket (but tailored skirts) and a webbing version of the 1903 Pattern belt that might help with dating as IIRC the latter was introduced mid war....off to karkee web to check!

Chris

edit

list of changes 1917 for the belt.

It's actually the narrower version of the normal 1908 web belt, associated with the VTC/OTC - only 2 1/4 inches wide as opposed to the normal 3 inches. Pictured near the bottom of:

http://www.karkeeweb.com/patterns/1908/1908_belts.html

It's actually the narrower version of the normal 1908 web belt, associated with the VTC/OTC - only 2 1/4 inches wide as opposed to the normal 3 inches. Pictured near the bottom of:

http://www.karkeeweb...1908_belts.html

Quite right - I stand corrected. Additional evidence for OTC then.

Chris

Thank you gentleman. I have been looking through Ray Westlake's Collecting metal shoulder titles and cannot find an OTC ST that ends with an E. The ST in the photograph seems to have a middle non letter section, rather like a fusiliers ST, followed by an E. Presumably there is a letter before the middle section. I am thinking perhaps that the E denotes Edinburgh or perhaps Elgin. Judging by the age of the chap in the photograph I would hazard a guess that it is a school rather than a university O.T.C..

It should be easy to identify this soldier as he has signed the postcard. However, I suspect that he may have been in a Scottish University O.T.C. when this photograph was taken. His shoulder title appears to have an E as the last letter. I have checked the medal index cards and his name doesn't appear.

Any help gratefully received.

There are several OTC abbreviations ending in ' E ' listed in ' The Broad Arrow ' and I could only find one ending in ' SE ' :-

CHE - Charterhouse School OTC

HTE - Highgate School OTC

WBE - Woodbridge School OTC

PSE - Perse School OTC

County Codes ending in ' E ' :-

FE - Fife of Fifeshire

ODE - Dundee

BE - Buteshire

Regards,

LF

LF thank you. I am not sure how these county codes fit in with the shoulder titles though. If there are what was worn we must be looking at Dundee as the most likely candidate. Having looked again Buteshire must be a strong contender.

Simon

Edited by high wood