Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can you help me identify this uniform/regiment?

Guest neillb61

Guest neillb61

Hi everyone

I have just joined the forum and hope you can help me. My grandfather served in WW1 although never spoke about it to my father, he died the year I was born. My father believed he served in the machine gun corp but could never find out much about his wartime service despite having successfully researched a large part of our family tree. I am now trying to see if I can make any progress

Attached is a photo of my grandfather (seated) together with his brother who also served. I believe the emblem on my grandfathers right sleeve is that of an armourer although I don't know the significance of this.

My Grandfathers name was William John Butler, born 1896 in Birmingham. My father had found the short service enlisting papers of a John William Butler from Birmingham and took this to be my grandfather, however I am not sure as the address doesn't tally with any i have researched and his signature is different from that on his marriage certificate a few years later.

Any help that you can give me in identifying the regiment, rank, etc would be greatly appreciated

Neill

post-97377-0-08433500-1362306411_thumb.j

It likes like MGC with crossed machines guns.

Hammer & pincers crossed on arm refers to several possible proficiencies including armourer, artificer or even toolmaker.

Welcome to the forum, which will give you lots of info, and possibly an addiction to the subject.

The badges certainly look like MGC, but you will have to wait for someone with better knowledge of the arm badge. Most MGC men were transferred into it from other regiments, so there may prove to be more detail available via Medal Index Cards etc.

D

There is a 61314 Pte William J Butler MGC (earlier 17333 Pte William J Butler Royal Berkshire Regt), there's also an 65644 Pte Albert Butler MGC (earlier 17826 Pte Albert Butler Royal Berkshire Regt)

32676 Pte John William Butler MGC

And 10 x William Butler's MGC (5 of whom served with other Regiments) with Medal cards on the National Archives, of these there is:

28476 Pte William Butler MGC and 28314 Pte Albert Butler MGC (there are only 7 x Albert Butler's MGC and 2 x Albert E).

Next step is to try for Service or Pension records on Ancestry, I'd start with the 2 immediately above and the 2 who first served with the Berkshire Regt first.

Sam

Guest neillb61

Thanks for all your replies so far, I do have access to Ancestry but wasnt aware of the absent voters record so will definitely try that. The two Butlers in the Royal Berkshire are also worth me pursuing as they are wearing the same uniform in my photo, I had assumed they would join a Midlands regiment but thats probably my lack of knowledge about WW1 and the military!

Neill