Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regimental History look-ups

CROONAERT

Just to let everyone know that I will no longer do trench-map or regimental history look-ups (East Lancs, South Lancs, North Lancs, East Yorks, West Yorks, Kings Liverpools, Borders, Royal Fusiliers, Royal Artillery, Duke of Lancs Yeo., B/210 Bty RFA., Irish Guards, HAC, 4/Kings Own and the 11th ,12th and 21st Bns Manchester regt.,82nd (US) Div, 16th (US) Inf. Regt., etc. etc., etc.) via email or PM.

The reason for this is that I'm sick and tired of people abusing the service that I've offered ( a couple of medal dealers using this to up the price of medals they're selling (sold "with research" - done by me - for free!!!) - don't know how they got my email address, I don't know them!. Others are "Hit and runners". You know the score. "What did such and such do?" . They get the answer then disappear - no thanks , no nothing. There are other reasons for this desision such as the person who complained that I didn't supply enough info. - Hey. I didn't write the damned history!

Thankfully, no-one that I am describing here is a regular forum member, so, thank you for your politeness and understandings to all those who have found my info to be of use.

Don't worry, I am not withdrawing this service. It's just that, as from now, I'll only do it on the forum so the world can see.

As from now, if anyone wants a look-up from me, please post it in the appropriate place on the forum rather than email me. All those who have emailed me recently, don't worry , I'll do your "look-ups" for you. Also, all those who are still currently waiting for my email response from a query, don't worry, I'm not referring to you, those who are to blame have been told!.

A shame that a minority spoils it for the rest, but that's the way it goes. My collection of Histories and Maps is probably worth more than my house. I'm not making a penny from them (though the thought of doing so crosses my mind!) , so I don't expect to be used as a "convenience".

Thanks for your understanding,

Dave.

(Chris (or a moderator, if you can). Could you do me a favour, and "pin" this message for me? Would it also help (bandwidth wise)if all the previous "look-ups" on the particular threads were deleted?)

Chris: I can't blame you at all. I have had many of the same experiences. Regards. Dick

Chris,

I'd be hopping mad in your shoes and I admire the fact that you still offer your services to the members of this forum.

My compliments and down with these low lifes.

Why not post a black list on the forum or is this not done?

Cheers,

Michael

Dvae.

I understand completely, a thank you means that your efforts are appreciated, not taken for granted. I have always found the members of this forum courtues ( or however you spell it) Other forums would post aquestion for lookups and the askee would never return and say thanks, can be very frustrating.

Chunp my friend, dlbgyd.

Tom.

Dave, this is first-class abuse of your time and I completely support your action. It reflects poorly on the forum too and I am very willing to take whatever action I can to stop this sort of behaviour.

Dave,

I agree with the others comments. Just as Ian B. found out allk it takes to spoil things is a small number of inconsiderate jerks. I agree also with your comments on dealer research. How often do you see, say, a 14 star trio with no more than a MIC attached with an extra 40-50 pounds tacked on to the price?

Thanks for your support on this. I'm glad you understand. :)

Dave.

(PS. Michael and Dick, I'm called Dave, not Chris! :lol: )

Just to add my empathy - two tales:

1. A dealer with whom I was cordial.. discovered that the MM and trio was to an individual who had been an RSM of a White Russian unit in 1919 - value skyrockets. My return: 'Thanks'.

2. Dealer who also collects has WW1 and post-war IGS to an officer whom I discover became a senior RAF officer (ACM) in WW2, figures prominently in France in 1940. Before I started the work "Now, you are going to keep these, aren't you?" "Ooooh yes" Month later they're Item 1 in another dealer's catalogue. With my research. "Oh, he did me a swap...."

Whereas.... getting one tiny piece of info on an MM (when they were selling for 75 quid...) the dealer shared the addition he put on it with me.

Dave, you have my sympathy, understanding and empathy. There are chancers, there are the ill-mannered. It will ever be thus. But we don't have to help them.

Dave

And just when I'd started a new project, as well..........

However, fully understand and support your position. It's the downside for you and the other very, very knowledgable members of the Forum.

Have a good trip to Ieper, mate.

John

And just when I'd started a new project, as well..........

There are certain people I don't mind helping off forum and I'll continue to respond to their pleas. They know who they are. ;) (or should do!!! :P )

Dave.

(PS. Michael and Dick, I'm called Dave, not Chris!

Did again.. :(

Sorry Dave and all the Chrisses and Daves, but especially you DAVE!

I'll try to remember and read correctly in the future....

Cheers,

Michael

• 1 year later...

Very saddened by all this as i am new to the forum and getting lots of information

and being across the pond makes it worse

I was so excited about finding a look up for the east lancs too!

Sad, very sad

Regards

Curtis

Sorry to hear that your being abused Dave, seems to go with the turf as I "suffer" from the self same thing regularly. Glad your biting back though!!

Dave,

Don't blame you. I suppose many of us have been annoyed by the 'hit and run' brigade and I too have been contacted by e-bay medal sellers who nick my response to boost their sale with not even a cursory thanks. Some months ago I did a bucket-load in relation to a really interesting Forester death plaque. Never heard from the guy again.

Bloody irritating.

One way I deal with the random but regular request along the lines of '"My Great Grandad was in the Foresters in the war I think and can you tell me anything about him pleeeeeese. Thanku.", is to respond with something like "Maybe. Tell me everything you know first and make a list of the questions you have". It's amazing how many are never heard of again......

Always willing to help the 'known' and the 'genuine' of course.

Dave

Fully understand. There are similar people ( the hit and run - no mention of a thanks types) on the Genealogical Lists as well. Annoys the hell out of you when you spend time helping them

Hywyn

Pals

Without wishing to minimise the irritation that this sort of thing causes (and it always worth a reminder that politeness works wonders on a Forum), but please note that Dave's post was some 18 months ago and is not, as such, a current moan.

I think you'll find that Dave has taken further more recent steps of "affirmative action" to reduce the demands on his time.

John