Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Field Artillery Battery badges/emblems?

battiscombe

some recent posts have raised the question of how many RFA batteries 1914-18 had unit badges/crests (official or otherwise) and where might one find out what they were [or is this another project ...]? I have seen a few battery photos in which a crest/emblem is displayed [and am now pretty sure that all batteries in 36th Brigade had such emblems/crests by 1919.. ) but these all relate to now long defunct batteries as far as I can determine.

I know some current RA batteries maintain links with one or more old batteries and their traditions and display crests (?), but can find no likely sources which might assist with defunct/suspended batteries [ but of course have yet to pester the RA Museum]. Do any members - perhaps serving RA - have any insights? I remember seeing serving gunners on this forum referring to their 'battery rooms' which maintain their records.

Might these emblems/crests in fact be unofficial, and perhaps just amongst 'regulars'.. or was it that Colonel Goschen in 36th Bde just liked heraldry? When did those now associated with current batteries in fact originate - are they in fact more recently invented? Have others been aware of such badges/crests being used? Do we have forum members in the RA Historical Society, who I suppose might know about such things, or know where to ask?

thanks

• 2 months later...

I hope you don't mind my replying to your topic with a query on a different subject. In a post on 18th August 2006, you said that you had a copy of a Roll listing members of the 36th Brigade RFA in August 1914. I wonder if you could check for my great-uncle, 71594 Gunner James Henry Webb? He was a regular soldier serving in the 36th Brigade, but I don't know in which Battery. I'd love to find out more about his Great War service - I know he was mentioned in dispatches, and he received the Military Medal, but that's about it (his service records have not survived).

Thanks!

this would be Gunner James Henry Webb 71594? I am afraid I have been unable to identify his Battery yet [they are not listed by Bty in the 1914 Star Roll]- just a note that he was later a Sergeant - is that right? Sorry I cant help.

I might draw your attention to an ongoing diary of the Brigade - http://ewmanifold.blogspot.co.uk/ [currently at 6th May 1918 ..]

There is mention of a 'Webb' in Nov 1917 probably with 48th Bty .. .. who I have not been able to identify otherwise .. and i only have one 'Webb' listed for the brigade to date, amongst c.1200 men I have identified..

there is also a photo of the sergeants ..and footballers.. of 48th Battery in 1917 here .. he could be one of them ... in case you can identify him??

http://www.flickr.co.../in/photostream

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

What a pity that the Roll doesn't mention his battery! According to his Medal Index Card, Uncle Jim went to France on 16th August 1914, with the rank of Gunner. He was subsequently mentioned in despatches (London Gazette, 18th May 1917) and awarded the Military Medal (London Gazette, 2nd November 1917). On both occasions, he was listed in the Gazette as "71594 Sjt. J. H. Webb", so he had definitely been promoted to Sergeant by May 1917. However, I'm positive he isn't one of the Sergeants of the 48th Battery shown in the photo you pointed me to (thanks very much, by the way). So, he must have been in either the 15th or the 71st? Anyway, if anything else comes to light, I'd love to hear it.