Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bordon and Bramshott 1915

Anneca

Can anyone tell me if there were any articles published in local newspapers in 1915 about wives travelling to Bordon and Bramshott from Ireland to see their husbands before they left for the Western Front in 1915?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi annaeca!

I live in the local area. The archive team in the local museum are back in tomorrow so I shall pop in and speak to them for you.

Ben

Hi annaeca!

I live in the local area. The archive team in the local museum are back in tomorrow so I shall pop in and speak to them for you.

Ben

That is very kind of you Ben but only if you are passing the museum as I don't want you to go to any trouble.

I am researching a soldier from 11th Bn Royal Irish Rifles – 36th (Ulster) Division. In 1915 he trained at Chyngton Camp in Seaford and moved on 2nd September to Bordon and Bramshott until the Division left on 4th October for Boulogne. I have learned that wives may have travelled from Ireland to see their loved ones for the last time before they left for the Western Front but have no proof of this, hence my question about newspaper articles.

I know this soldier’s wife gave birth to a child in June 1916 and since he had not been home since July 1915 the idea of wives travelling to England would make sense. Sadly he was KIA and probably never saw his son.

Regards, Anne

Dont worry its no problem. I shall ask them tomorrow and get back to you on what they say.

cheers ben

Hi anna

I had a chat with the poeple at the museum and they didnt have any info on the Irish ever being there but they gave me some copies of the layout of the camp and details for people who can help.

One of these I have contacted on your behalf as they are other local archive group, who have all the records for the camps - they are busy looking into it for me.

The is Local Historian called John Owen Smith. I have been told he is very approachable, he has also writtern a number of books, including ones about the camp. This is his Phone number 01428 712892, and this is a link to his site, which has other contact details on it. http://www.johnowensmith.co.uk

I shall scan in the copies of bramshott camp and let you know what this other archive group say.

Ben

Ben, I've sent you a PM.

Anne

• 3 years later...

Hello Anne

I live in Liphook and have been actively involved with researching local military history topics reference to the local area for sometime now. 

Was the soldier you were researching based up on Bramshott common and did he leave by train from Liphook station by any chance ?