Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with photo of individual soldier please

arboskittler

Hi folks.

I've come across an old family photo which I believe is of George Edward Hill (born Tetbury, Glos around 1885). I can't seem to trace any records of him (service wise) and I realise the photo is a bit of a long shot in identifying the regiment he was in.

On the back of the photo, he writes to his mother and signs it "Your son, George, Zagazig, Egypt, May 1916.

Sorry it's vague.

Cheers,

Andy.

post-72598-0-69790300-1362131643_thumb.j

Edited by arboskittler

My guess is that he is ASC or RGA. If you look at his shoulder titles they appear to be in large block letters that were a feature of those units. Another clue, although not unique, is that he is wearing the 1903 mounted infantry pattern equipment leather waist belt that was commonly worn by such men on mounted duties. If you have the original photo and it was taken on a glass plate then the resolution will be good and examination of his shoulder titles through a powerful magnifier (such as a 'linen tester') should make clear what the letters are. His left shoulder seems clearest.

• 11 years later...

George Edward Hill appears in a Roll of Honour compiled by the Tetbury vicar (Rev Thompson), identifying those from the ecclesiastical parish of Tetbury who had enlisted by Dec 1915 (published in the Wilts & Glos Standard on Sat 11 Dec 1915). He is shown as being in the Army Service Corps, which makes sense as pre-war he was a baker (per the 1911 Census).

Hope that helps!

Clive

17 minutes ago, clivebow said:

George Edward Hill appears in a Roll of Honour compiled by the Tetbury vicar (Rev Thompson), identifying those from the ecclesiastical parish of Tetbury who had enlisted by Dec 1915 (published in the Wilts & Glos Standard on Sat 11 Dec 1915). He is shown as being in the Army Service Corps, which makes sense as pre-war he was a baker (per the 1911 Census).

Hope that helps!

Clive

Thank you Clive, you have confirmed my mere surmising. 

IMG_2961.jpeg

IMG_2962.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

George Hill was perhaps not surprisingly a common name, anda quick scan of the MIC index reveals. approximately 70 George Hills with overseas  service in the ASC.
A baker often would have an S, S1, S2, S3 , S4 or prefix to his service number.
That would reduce the number of candidates down to around 8.
As it happens, the first George E. Hill in the Ancestry index is this man, S4/109898.
His first theatre of war was Egypt (from 9/6/15) and at some later date, was transferred to theSomerset Light Infantry.

I'm not saying it's him, but he's worth excluding:
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/4286378:1262?tid=&pid=&queryId=5db1823b-5341-491c-ad60-170830b4cf2c&_phsrc=bDw1854&_phstart=successSource

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr