Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform Identification help Please

fergie5500

Hello, I would love some help identifying the uniforms in these photos. The man is William Anderson, and were taken during WW1. I haven't been able to find any reference to his war records here in New Zealand, yet the uniform appears to have a RNZA cap badge. The second photo shows William Anderson again with several others, wearing a different type of uniform. I would be grateful for any help.

post-97304-0-03060300-1362006913_thumb.jpost-97304-0-77105900-1362006910_thumb.j

Thanks RogerShephard. I have trawled through almost all the William Andersons on Archway and found nothing yet. He doesn't have a middle name so you're right about needles and haystacks. Are you able to confirm that he is wearing an NZ uniform? If he is I will continue with Archway and hope I find a match.

Yes he is wearing a kiwi uniform. He is with the 30th Reinforcements going by his badge, on his shoulder shoud be a number of letters that may narrow this down further to a regiment.

if he was with the NZA he would probably have worn their cap badge - rather than that shown, although it is possible that he was transfered over to them.

The second photo is almost certainly taken in NZ before deployment. I have a number like this, same tents, same rocky paths.

Maybe his file has been lost or maybe he enlisted under a different name

maybe try doing a search for the 30th on this site and see if his name turns up on one of the rolls attached to each name - rolls are the lists of men

http://muse.auckland...ncedSearch.aspx

enter 30th in the unit section and go search

eg.

http://muse.auckland...nit_search=30th

Roger, you're a champion. Thanks to your info I've found him, he's actually listed as William Henry Anderson, even though I have his birth cert and christening record that give his name as just William. He was in the 30th, Canterbury Infantry Regiment, C Company. Thanks so much for your time and help, much appreciated.

uncanny - i looked at that file last night as well and wondered if that was him.

Well done.

Roger