Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Imperial German Army, 1914-1918

Landsturm

German army organisation and order-of-battle have always caused headache to myself when trying to get the facts. Then I find this from Amazon.

Imperial German Army, 1914-1918: organisation, structure, orders-of-battle from Herrman Cron, Duncan Rogers & Christopher Colton.

Does anyone have the book? Do you recommend it, or have you applied for restriction order and curse it down to hell?

Landsturm,

I have the book and often make use of it. It is quite technical in many ways and does provide excellent information on the various units, organizations, etc. of the German Army. It is a useful book to have in my opinion and a key part to the overall understanding of the German Army. I like it.

Ralph

Landsturm.

I too have this book and, like Ralph, use it quite often.

It is one of the better English language books on the subject (it is a translation of a German original).

Joe Sweeney

I can only add to the recommendations above. There are chapters on the Supreme Army Command and the War Ministry; the changes that occured in organization of the army on the various fronts; the Higher Command Authorities (eg Army Group commands) and their development; a history of the field army that details all of the service arms; lines of communication; administrations of the occupied territories; and authorities and units in Germany. The appendices contain detailed OOBs for the 1914 German Field Army on 17th August and for the 18th Army that participated in Operation Michael on 21 March 1918. There are also lists of brigade staffs, mobile units, and commanders with their general staffs. The glossary is very helpful.

Robert

I recommend the original in German (reprint from the30's by Biblio Verlag)... I don't know wheteher the English translation uses all original unit names etc.?

Jan

My German-skills are not that good, that I should get the original. Original unit names sure would be preferred, but I don`t believe it causes a problem, since German military-terms are close Finnish ones...:)

Looks like a winner. Ordered mine this morning. Just one suggestion-- It's cheaper if you buy it from Amazon US

Price (in dollars)

$62.91 UK

$51.39 US (includes shipping and VAT)

Paul

Hermann Cron had a second book, presumably published in German. There was talk of this being translated into English. Does anyone know of this book and its contents?

Robert