Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform Identification - PoW?

cwig

Hi I have a postcard (attached a photo with closeups) I have been told it is a British PoW from WW1. which I have been trying to find out more info on,.

I had posted on another forum and been recommended to try here.

On the reverse is simply a British postal address (Mrs N? Sainsbury, 28 Ridge St, Lancaster), no other writing or stamps etc.

Can you please give your thoughts on this, especially..

• The shape of the pocket flaps - would this indicate a pre-war tunic (possibly still in use during ww1)
  • The number 23 on the epaulets - I am not aware of any British military unit that used numbers like this (Excluding Cadet forces)
  • I have included 2 close ups of buttons, one might be British Army General Issue button the other doesnt look right, but this might just be a trick of the light
  • Which trades might have worn the chain?
  • Does anyone know of any way of tying the numbers on the prisoner to a particular camp or even prisoner?

Thank you in advance of any advice.

Cheers

Chris

post-97305-0-39479200-1361994328_thumb.j

10952 Pte Nicholson Sainsbury, 1st Royal Welsh Fusiliers (the old 23rd Foot).

His MIC is marked "P of W".

In 1926 he emigrates to New Zealand, and his home address on the manifest is 38 Ridge St, Lancaster.

But "Mrs N. Sainsbury"?? According to the BMDs and parish records, he didn't marry until Jan 1919.

Adrian

Wow, I never expected to get that much info! thank you, I suspect the Mrs N Sainsbury is his Mother, who was presumably relieved to find out he was still alive.

I think the cards were sent out to as propaganda to show the Enemy was human and treating them well. - There is no stamp I guess they were brought over to the UK in batches by an independent party and then distributed somehow.

10952 Pte Nicholson Sainsbury, 1st Royal Welsh Fusiliers (the old 23rd Foot).

His MIC is marked "P of W".

In 1926 he emigrates to New Zealand, and his home address on the manifest is 38 Ridge St, Lancaster.

But "Mrs N. Sainsbury"?? According to the BMDs and parish records, he didn't marry until Jan 1919.

Adrian

His mother ?

Steve.

Enlisted 5/2/1912. Taken Pow 21/10/1914. Released 20/12/1918. Was later renumbered 4180898 so his papers should be at MOD.

Is he related?

Hywyn

Thank you Hywyn, no he isnt related, I just picked up the card for something I am working on at the moment, and was curious to find out more - I have had so much more than I ever expected.

Assuming I can't find any living relatives, I will probably send the card to the RWF museum for their archives once I am done with it. - with all the info.

Chris

His POW Records are also held by the Red Cross in Switzerland.

Wow, I never expected to get that much info! thank you, I suspect the Mrs N Sainsbury is his Mother, who was presumably relieved to find out he was still alive.

I think the cards were sent out to as propaganda to show the Enemy was human and treating them well. - There is no stamp I guess they were brought over to the UK in batches by an independent party and then distributed somehow.

The Red Cross I suspect. What was supposed to be the standard process was that a new POW completed a special field post card after capture with name rank and address of NoK and this was sent to the Red Cross in Switzerland who registered him and sent the card on to the UK. The system was not always observed in Germany or the card was sent very late and there also seem to have been variations in how it was done so that for some POWs the card wasn't sent until after they had arrived at their final POW camp. German hospitals appear to have been punctilious in getting the cards off ASAP after the man was brought in for treatment but in this case there would be no photo.

The numeral 23 intrigues me, also the cut of the pockets.

Please does anyone know of any other 1914 1918 soldier, PoW or not, wearing shoulder numerals thus?

The 23 was suggested as being because he was a member of "1st Royal Welsh Fusiliers (the old 23rd Foot)" (2nd post)

I took this to mean it was normal for the Royal Welsh Fusiliers.

The 23 was suggested as being because he was a member of "1st Royal Welsh Fusiliers (the old 23rd Foot)" (2nd post)

I took this to mean it was normal for the Royal Welsh Fusiliers.

Absolutely not normal! A rare and fascintaing sighting. Informed opinion is that it may well have been made by a craftsman in the PoW camp.

Absolutely not normal! A rare and fascintaing sighting. Informed opinion is that it may well have been made by a craftsman in the PoW camp.

Thinking about that further it would seem odd that any craftsman did not simply make a basic RWF title, as that would not have been much more difficult. I suppose another possibility is that they were German sourced numbers used by the soldier as a simple way to give identity to his unit.

I have a picture of a Gordons POW somewhere which may...(MAY!) have numbers on his shoulder...I'll look for it.

Edit: well....make up your own mind....is there something there?

post-14525-0-14250100-1362281633_thumb.j

Detail

post-14525-0-29982500-1362281616_thumb.j

Chris

I have a picture of a Gordons POW somewhere which may...(MAY!) have numbers on his shoulder...I'll look for it.

Edit: well....make up your own mind....is there something there?

post-14525-0-14250100-1362281633_thumb.j

Detail

post-14525-0-29982500-1362281616_thumb.j

Chris

My monitor is not brilliant but it looks to me like a cloth badge. Is it cloth?

Well I have a fancy new monitor and I cannot be definitive! (and examining the original under a glass is not either)

Rather than a "cloth badge" it looks more to me like individual numbers but I admit they look more like embroidered numbers such as found on German GW epaulettes rather than the obvious metal numbers in the OP.

Chris