Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Waist belts

RobL

I've often considered that soldiers wore the 03 pattern leather belt as a waist belt (ie around the trousers), either together with, or instead of, the trouser braces, however after discussions I can't actually find any proof of this or evidence to support this claim. Can anyone show any photos of the 03 belt, or any other belts (such as the thin 1917 webbing belt which I also believed was for the same purpose) worn as a trouser belt, or any other evidence of this?

Best regards, Rob

Hi Rob,

I've certainly seen several photos over the years of belts being used as you describe, although I can't post one just like that. You tend to find artillerymen down to shirt sleeves have them on show quite often. I'll try and locate a picture or two.

Dave

Here's a couple I've trawled up off the net. The first is well recognised, the second I've not seen before and I post this one for two reasons. If you look really closely the in the foreground, is wearing the 3" wide webbing waist belt - you can just about make out the distinctive buckle. More curiously; look at the man in the middleground wearing the bow-tie and tweed jacket plus gas-mask?! I can only think this must be some journalist brought into the line for the experience? Can anyone shed any more light on this?

Dave

PS: I always understood the practice of wearing a belt like this was because the trousers were invariably a loose fit around the waist, and that once the tunic came off, without such a belt being used to keep the trousers tight to the waist, there was a high probability of bits of trench wall etc falling into the trousers resulting in all sorts of problems in trying to get rid of it again etc.

post-23614-0-23190800-1361952675_thumb.j

post-23614-0-44732500-1361952690_thumb.g

Thanks Dave - yes the tweed jacketed chap is a reporter, seem to recall he always accompanied the photographer. Was told his name but can't remember

Makes sense Rob. I can't see the reporter being Philip Gibbs. Concerning the waist the belt, I take it you are aware a webb version was eventually produced for the purpose, I think it's shown on the Karkee Web site - Waist Belt Converted: http://www.karkeeweb...1908_belts.html

Dave

post-23614-0-60546300-1361960249_thumb.p

Makes sense Rob. I can't see the reporter being Philip Gibbs. Concerning the waist the belt, I take it you are aware a webb version was eventually produced for the purpose, I think it's shown on the Karkee Web site - Waist Belt Converted: http://www.karkeeweb...1908_belts.html

Dave

I think you're thinking of the "waist belt, web" - quite a rare bit of kit, until a whole load came out of (supposedly Belgian Army) storage a few years ago, and were available to those interested at Detling for the princely sum of £10 each (got a nice crisp 1917 dated one):

http://www.karkeeweb.com/patterns/1903/components/1903_belts_straps.html

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k116/rasterscanning/My%20Collection%20of%20Bedfordshire%20pictures/Renhold/WW1/4.jpg

Is this what you are after? This is (ctr) Pte Alexander Harlow KIA 12 May 1917, as L/Cpl, 40152 The Queens.

Many thanks, useful but not showing the 03's. I'm yet to see conclusive proof of 03 or the later 1917 webbing version worn as belts in WW1 photos. Trying to work out whether this is actually accurate for WW1 on any large scale or a 'reenactorism'