Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SMLE opinion

YankeeDiv

Ok, I have an opportunity to pick up this MK III....simple trade for a Smith and Wesson wheel gun I don't use. I don't know much about them...Any ideas on the markings? Serial number falls in the 71XXX range. Barrel is clean and no rust. .Any ideas on the markings?

Made at Ishapur (India).

"GRI" - Georgius Rex Imperator

After independence Ishapur Enfields were mared RFI, (Rifle Factory Ishapur). I have a late RFI No 4 dated 1963.

What he said! (although usually rendered Ishapore)

Obviously this is a WWII rifle. Ishapore made No1 rifles as late as the mid 1980s! (with a break in the mid-late 1960s to make the 7.62mm 2A and A1 rifle)

The rifle in .303 is still in service in India.

This looks like a clean example with early/original wood. (you can see it is cut low for the cutoff which is not present on a MkIII*)

THIS LITTLE GUIDE might be of use.

Stoppage Drill - I don't think Ishapore produced No4 rifles although they refinished a lot, so your rifle was probably manufactured in the UK/US/Canada and refinished at Ishapore. Some No4 rifles were produced at the Pakistan Ordnance Factory but not as far as I am aware in India (despite they using and continuing to use large numbers of No4 rifles)

Chris

Edit: The mark on the side of the reciever is a proof mark

Edited by 4thGordons