Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

American Victory medals

olosangus

Does anyone know a good source to find out whihc US divisions were entitled to which campaign clasps on their Victory Medals ? As the medals aren't named I am just wondering if there is a way to find out which combinations of clasps are realistic ?

Thanks for any ideas.

Digital Bookshelf

Hi,

The above site for the Digital Bookshelf has a page for each division of the AEF if you scroll down the Divisional page you will see the clasp entitlement.

If you have any questions I have a copy of Battle participation of Organizations of the American Expeditionary Forces in France Belgium & Italy which lists the battle participation of each infantry, artillery and engineer regiment etc.

It also lists each AEF unit present at each battle.

Feel free to ask,

Neil

olosangus,

If you are interested in Victory Medals in general, I would suggest Alexander Laslo's fine book on The Interallied Victory Medals of World War I. He discusses the American medal and campaign bars in detail. Here is his divisional chart for the campaign bars. The eligibility for these bars is also described in the book and you can usually find what bars one was given on their discharge papers. See example from my great uncle (42.Division).

Best regards,

Chip

post-23-1094345135.jpg

Guest Ian Bowbrick
The Discharge. By the way, I have his medal, in its original mailing box with inner box and small ticket listing the bars.

Chip

Fantastic - I have been looking to see one of these clasp entitlement chits for quite sometime.

Many thnaks for sharing this - Ian

Hi Ian,

The above is the actual discharge with the victory medal entitlement stamp. The chits were much smaller about 2" x 3" or so which simply lsited the bars, typewritten if I recall and the medal was pinned to them via two hole at the top. I have one which I will try to post a photo of if someone else doesn't post one first.

Take care,

Neil

All,

Here is the medal and "Chit" that goes along with the discharge posted earlier. The whole medal delivery consisted of a natural colored cardboard mailing box with glued on address label that included the medal issue number. Inside that was a white pasteboard box with the battle clasp list stamped on the lid in purple ink. Inside this box was the medal, wrapped in tissue, the "Chit" (not pinned on) and the return receipt and envelope (see below). These were intended to be sent back, but my great uncle never bothered, so it is all still together.

Chip

post-23-1094700065.jpg

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Neil & Chip M,

Many thanks - I do have an American Victory medal in my collection, which is 3 bar - Meuse Argonne, Defensive Sector and the last eludes me for now - will post a scan later.

Ian

Wow Chip that's really in great condition and you are correct the chit wasn't 'holed' ahh memory, such a fleeting thing!

By the way I have the Digital Bookshelf CD for the 42nd Division so if you need anything, just ask.

Take care,

Neil

The Digital Bookshelf

The Digital Bookshelf is a great source for AEF divisional histories. The gentleman that runs the site has been putting divisional histories on CD and making them available for sale. He also is on Ebay as aefcollector. I bought his 80th Division CD, which has proved to be a great resource, containing many of the documents and publications that I have been trying to track down individually.

Vincent

Hi CHip & Vince,

Scott Schoner's Digital Bookshelf is THE way to go for Division Histories of the AEF. His CD's are easily usable (Adobe Acrobat) and his website alone is a great AEF research tool. I have about 4 or so CD's from him and if I had the money I would subscribe to the entire series, and the casualty database.

He's a great person to deal with and the price of the CDs $45 is very small considering the amount of time and money one could spend tracking down the 3 or 4 books per CD.

Highly recommended!

take care,

Neil

42nd CD from the Digital Bookshelf