Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My 2 nd great grand uncle

Simon7

Is lance corporal Ralph Ernest Downes, 1st battalion the queens died age 22 in 1917

Didn't know anyone with more info

Or does anyone know where I can get an old photo

Many thanks for any help

Killed 23/04/1917 France

Service number G/24456

SON OF ROBERT DOWNES, OF HIGH ST., WATTON, NORFOLK; HUSBAND OF MAUD SCASE DOWNES, OF 10, THE CRESCENT, EAST HARLING, NORWICH.

Simon

His record on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission is shown below.

http://www.cwgc.org/...S, RALPH ERNEST (sorry too slow!)

On 23rd April 1917 1st Battalion the Queens West Surrey Regiment frontally attacked the Hindenburg Line to the south of Fontaine-les-Croisilles near Arras. After a long fight they were ejected from the German trenches by a counterattack and many of those that survived were show down as they withdrew. Not many ome from the battalion made it back though some were captured. If you'd like to know more I can dig out the pages of the war diary.

His medal index card showed he previously served in the East Surrey Regiment (as No 20325). He arrived in France after 1915 as he was not awarded the 1914-15 Star.

He was born in Thompson, Norfolk, lived in Thetford and enlisted in Norwich.

Kind regards

Colin

Hi Simon.

Your nearest library or if you have one in your area a newspaper library may have copies of local 1917 papers. You might get lucky and find your uncle mentioned and even find a picture maybe. I know that the Newspaper Library in Belfast is excellent.

Hi Simon.

Your nearest library or if you have one in your area a newspaper library may have copies of local 1917 papers. You might get lucky and find your uncle mentioned and even find a picture maybe. I know that the Newspaper Library in Belfast is excellent.

Ok cool thanks

• 11 years later...

Simon, don't know if this may be of interest, but we live at this address. Although extended in the 1980s, the main part of the house is as built. I can, within reason, send you some photos if you wish.

Regards,

Iain

• Admin
36 minutes ago, albannach2 said:

Simon, don't know if this may be of interest, but we live at this address. Although extended in the 1980s, the main part of the house is as built. I can, within reason, send you some photos if you wish.

Regards,

Iain

Welcome to the GWF

@Simon7 has not visited us for a number of years (7/2018) my tag may alert them to your post or you may wish to use the GWF personal message system just click on th name and open the dialog box message. If they are still using the registered email it should get through.