Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thomas Edward Smith/sleeve insignia

deano

Hi Guys, all I know is this is Thomas Edward Smith of Sheffield, possibly. Looking for an explanation of the sleeve badges ( Kings Crown Bullion ? ) Also any other deatils re the medals and which regiment ?

regards

Dean.

post-17978-0-46116000-1361903067_thumb.j

I'll ask the specific question re the medal in the medal section.

His Medals are the 1914 - 15 Star, British War Medal, Victory Medal, General Service Medal with unknown bar, and Army Long Service and Good Conduct Medal.

Unless I am very much mistaken the collar badges are for the King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry. The belt buckle is the standard General Service type.

Hope this helps

Sepoy

A search for his name on Ancestry reveals two medal cards:-

9287 Lance Corporal Thomas E Martin, King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry

who landed in France on 15th January, 1915. Later Colour Sergeant

The Medal Card shows the award of the 1914-15 Star Trio

It also shows that he was later re-numbered 4680654 who was awarded the General Service Medal with Iraq clasp, (The Iraq Medal roll shows that he was serving with the 1st Battalion, KOYLI.)

The medal card states "also see Thomas E Smith" and this card shows that Martin changed his name to Smith by statutory declaration on 24th October, 1921. It also confirms the GSM Iraq and states that he was awarded the LSGC in Army Order 136 of 1926.

It does not always come together so easily!

Sepoy

The badges (imperial crowns) look unusual because they are on a corn yellow (officially 'maize') backing. Later they were adopted by the Light Infantry formed from the Light Infantry Brigade of the 1950s.