Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

keithchristmas

Hi,

I have today received a copy of the attached photo of my grandfather who served as a Private in the 1/5th Bn, of the Queen's (West Surrey) Regiment.

The two soldiers in the front row have an inverted single chevron on their left arm. I would be interest to learn why this chevron was awarded.

Also, there is a cloth badge on the helmet. I would like to know the design/colour of this badge. Does this relate to the Battalion or the Regiment?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Keith

post-13618-0-70084100-1361895819_thumb.j

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your very prompt reply!

Was there a specific time period required to qualify for the chevron?

Regards,

Keith

Hi Keith

Attached photo - Hope it helps!

Good Conduct Chevrons were originally introduced in 1836. They were awarded to ORs below the rank of Corporal (I believe this is correct as opposed to what is said in the text accompanying the photograph (if you are able to read it!) – If I am wrong them I am sure someone more knowledgeable will soon post a correction!), and were worn on the right lower sleeve. In 1881 this was changed to the left lower sleeve. A man wearing them also received “good conduct” pay. Because they were for good conduct and the man received a gratuity they could also be forfeit for misconduct and had to be 're-earned'. Once a man was promoted to Corporal they had to be removed. To Old Sweats they were know as 'G-Flogs' of 'GCs'.

One Stripe = 2 years Good Conduct

Two Stripes = 6 years Good Conduct

Three Stripes = 12 years Good Conduct

Four Stripes = 18 years Good Conduct

post-9943-0-88460200-1361898138_thumb.jp

That was a good shot at it!

During our period the qualifying good conduct years were

2, 5, 12, 18*, 23*, 28*

With dispensation to reduce the * periods by two years.

However they had ceased to be accompanied by extra pay.

Rules were changed to allow TF to qualify in the war, and later rules allowed an extra badge for every extra 5 years.

The record appears to be 12.

I also have note and photo of a 10, and several 8s.

What was new to me was the information that the Long Service MEDAL could be awarded twice [the second time for stamina].

Soldiers with many badges must have had to lift their beer right handed.

Sadly, although QR still sanction the badges, they have all but disappeared from wear.

RM used same rules, RN totally different, RAF different yet again [although RFC used army rules of course]

Here's a question; when and by whom are GC badges worn point down ?

As to the other point in Battlecruiser's OP - coloured cloth patches were worn on all sorts of headdress, but probably were most common on the pugri/puggaree of sun helmets. They were usually indicative of a regiment or corps.

A single vestige survives, as far as I know; Scots Guards officers still wear a Royal Stuart tartan patch on both sides of the SD cap.

I don't count the various patches worn behind cap badges.