Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bailleul or St Omer

Paul Reed

These two photos were taken by a signaller in the 1/28th Londons in 1914. I am not sure whether they Bailleul or St Omer. He was certainly stationed in both places.

Comments and input appreciated.

post-4-1094313105.jpg

I'm afraid I can't pinpoint the location for you, Paul, but it's interesting that both photos seem to have been taken surreptitiously. The intrusion of quite a lot of, what appears to be, guttering into the images suggests the photographer might have been careful not to draw too much attention to what he was doing. Presumably, taking photographs of troop movements at that time was a military offence as, no doubt, it was throughout the war.

Gary

Quite, Gary.

However, I think the photos are taken from his billet window. I have an account of this soldier being hung out the window by his ankles while he fixed the telephone cable leading into their signal station cum billets!

Paul it loks very like the old building at the far end of the car-park just down from the Grande Place at St. Omer. I don't really know the building well enough to say that I recognise it, though. I see it often but don't look at it that closely.

Tom

Hi, Paul i am not sure but i think that these two photos were taken in St Omer (90% wright !) i try to find this place and more infos about this place...Best regards Laurent (France).

Eh? how could you tell troop movements by a few photo's even nowadays (not talking about arial photos)

Well, perhaps not quite as useful as aerial reconnaissance I agree but still photographs that identify and help to locate a transport hub or sizeable billet would, I'd have thought, be of significant military and strategic importance and not something you would particularly want known to the enemy.

Gary

Thanks for all your replies; personally I had thought it was St Omer as I know Bailleul quite well and couldn't think where this could be.

I shall have to take a trip up there to see if the building is still there sometime.

Merci Laurent; I don't think it can be Arras, as the 1/28th Londons were not down that way in 1914, nor were any British troops. It is most likely St Omer, as they spent so much time there.