Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wyndham Lewis

BigT

According to my research Wynham Lewis attended No 4 Officer Cadet School of the RGA in Weymouth in 1916-17. Does anyone know where in Weymouth the school was located?

According to his service papers, he was actually at No.1 RGA Officer training school at Trowbridge ,Wiltshire from 3rd November to 25th December 1916 (He was at Weymouth earlier, however - 30 Company, Westham Training Unit - between 8th April 1916 and 14th July 1916 which is also the date he was promoted to A/Bombardier). .....assuming of course that we're talking about the same Wyndham Lewis?

Dave

Thanks

Trevor

• 4 weeks later...

Trevor,

According to his memoirs whilst at Weymouth he appears to have been a drill instructor of sorts. Probably because he may well have been at a school octu at some time.

Tony P

According to his service papers, he was actually at No.1 RGA Officer training school at Trowbridge ,Wiltshire from 3rd November to 25th December 1916 (He was at Weymouth earlier, however - 30 Company, Westham Training Unit - between 8th April 1916 and 14th July 1916 which is also the date he was promoted to A/Bombardier). .....assuming of course that we're talking about the same Wyndham Lewis?

Dave

Dominic Bevan Wyndham Lewis - the writer - served in the Welch Regiment so I guess we are talking about Percy the painter

Dominic Bevan Wyndham Lewis - the writer - served in the Welch Regiment so I guess we are talking about Percy the painter

...and Ivor Wyndham Lewis served in the ASC, Wyndham H.Lewis in the SWB, Philip Wyndham Lewis in the Monmouthshire Regt, another Wyndham Lewis (Wyndham as 1st name) in the ASC, another couple in the Welsh Regt, SWB, one in the RE etc etc.... plus two or 3 in the Artillery - which is why I asked after looking at Percy W.Lewis' records (which I happen to have a copy on on my HD). By the OP's response on 28th February, I'd say that your guess is correct.

...and Ivor Wyndham Lewis served in the ASC, Wyndham H.Lewis in the SWB, Philip Wyndham Lewis in the Monmouthshire Regt, another Wyndham Lewis (Wyndham as 1st name) in the ASC, another couple in the Welsh Regt, SWB, one in the RE etc etc.... plus two or 3 in the Artillery - which is why I asked after looking at Percy W.Lewis' records (which I happen to have a copy on on my HD). By the OP's response on 28th February, I'd say that your guess is correct.

But you didn't say

Trevor,

According to his memoirs whilst at Weymouth he appears to have been a drill instructor of sorts. Probably because he may well have been at a school octu at some time.

Tony P

Not sure whether some artistic license would be used in his memoirs there to be honest as he was only a lowly gunner whilst at Weymouth. His appointment to Acting Bombardier only came when he left Weymouth and moved to Lydd. He was also promoted from this (via Bombardier) to Corporal at Lydd by September 1916 so, if he was employed as a drill instructor at any time, it is likely to actually have been at Lydd where he was to remain until his application for a commission (2nd attempt) in October 1916.

Dave

But you didn't say

Neither did anyone else on this thread (nor did it appear that we needed to)...