Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Highland Officer unit and date?

4thGordons

I just picked up this portrait.

It is currently framed (period) and I am a little loathe to disassemble it - so apologies for the poor photos through glass.

Can anyone suggest a regiment? all I can go on is the collar badges which appear to be an animal, possibly a horse? over a scroll. This might suggest Liverpool Scottish but I am not sure as it really doesn't look right to me.

Socond question is the date of the photo. I suspect it is probably early 1900s (around the boer war) as his Service Dress appears to have twisted epaulettes, if pre 1908 I assume the unit could be complicated by the existence of Volunteer Battalions?

Apologies again for the poor quality images.

Chris

post-14525-0-81811800-1361728211_thumb.j

post-14525-0-52959500-1361728222_thumb.j post-14525-0-69571500-1361728230_thumb.j

The Highlanders Battalions (8th & 9th?) were kilted.

Is it pre-war? The button-up collar and what look like twisted shoulder cords look earlier than 1914 period.

Is it pre-war? The button-up collar and what look like twisted shoulder cords look earlier than 1914 period.

That's what I thought, but he's wearing a kilt apron - when were they introduced ? And black buttons ?

Kilt aprons were worn in the Boer War also so I was actually thinking this might be a late Boer War period picture (or post Boer War but pre WWI, possibly by a while) As indicated in my initial post I think the epaulettes are of the twisted/braid variety.

I have pictures of Gordons officers in 1909 wearing similar jackets. The jacket appears to be made of serge wool like O/Rs jackets rather than the more usual finer officers' material.

Chris

I don't think they are stars/buglehorn collars.

I will see if I can get it out of the frame.

It's a wolverhampton photographer for what that is worth.

Chris

I don't think any Cameronians Battalions were kilted, were they?

It's a wolverhampton photographer for what that is worth.

Chris

A little-known and short-lived Rifle Volunteers - the Black Country Highlanders. He was probably the only-ever member.

I *knew* that would happen as soon as I mentioned that :w00t:

off to pry the back off the frame

I think you missed one there - the "Black Country Watch" maybe ?

I'll keep feeding you the gags. :thumbsup:

Only the 9th Battalion wore the kilt and they weren't a rifle battalion, the 8th were an Infantry then Pioneer battalion, only the pipers wore kilts.

Perhaps a Canadian regiment of Scottish roots.

John

I wondered about the Canadian Scottish connection too John,

So I took the back off the frame and thought I was in luck as there was some writing on the back but rather than having name and regiment it indicates that

'Miss Calton (?) of 207 W???" 3/4pm and then some initials.

So with the glass off here is the best I can manage (still not great, if I scan at high resolution there is too much surface texture on the print)

post-14525-0-36421600-1361740310_thumb.j

post-14525-0-80559200-1361740310_thumb.j

post-14525-0-11162200-1361740386_thumb.j

Boar's head?

Google serach brings up 5th Canadian regiment, 42nd Highlanders of Canada, Canadian Black Watch.

Looks promising that. Thanks Steven. Not sure if I can see the 5 in there though....

The period of the photo is 1903-1913 based on the closed collar service dress jacket and braided shoulder cords. The Boar's head collar badges highly suggest the 5th Regiment Royal Scots of Canada. See scan of glengarry badges below for that regiment. The Boar's head with scroll is 1884-1906 and the Star badge with Boar's head in center is 1906-1920. The history I have shows the regimental designation as 5th Royal Scots from 1884 through 1906 when it became the Royal Highlanders of Canada.

Hope this helps.

b7b3ea5197fa.jpg

Well done gordon92, I think you have it. It certainly looks reminiscent of the 5th Royal Scots of Canada collar badge to me, although I too cannot see a figure 5.

Well done gordon92, I think you have it. It certainly looks reminiscent of the 5th Royal Scots of Canada collar badge to me, although I too cannot see a figure 5.

Yes, the figure 5 is an open issue. Forum member ron marsden would be able to comment decisively on this point. He is a regular contributor to the Black Watch forum and occasionally posts here. Perhaps, he will weigh in.

In re-examining the original photo, despite the poor angle on the cap badge three horizontal protuberances can be discerned. Thus, the subject appears to be wearing the post-1906 Star badge of the Royal Highlanders of Canada as is consistent with Ron's post-1912 dating of the collar badge.

Mike

Thanks very much, Ron.

And thanks too Steven for the initial ID and Mike for following it up.

That puts this one to bed then I think.

That puts the photo closer to the War than I imagined, conceivably then actually a wartime picture of a Royal Highlanders of Canada Officer ("Gerald") in the UK.

Thanks again.

It is interesting, Ron, that the figure 5 was omitted from the collar badge but retained on other badges (and buttons). Any speculation on the reason?