Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Cemeteries in Basra

Guest dovecote

I apologise if I have misunderstood this site, but I seek some help and guidance. My Grandfather Frederick Thomas Simpson is buried in one of the 4? WW1 cemeteries in Basra. He was in the Royal West?Kent regiment (not the Buffs). I have had no response from their site even though his name is in the book of remembrance in Canterbury Cathedral.

He left a wife and three children under 8 after being presented with two white feathers (at the same time) in 1915. My mother is still alive at 96 having outlived her younger sister and brother. Is there anyone in Basra who is looking after these graves or who might be able to say if my grandfathers grave can be identified? Best wishes Graham Dove Dovecote43@hotmail.com

Hell Dovecote,

Welcome to the group. I feel sure that someone will chip in with some advice.

In the meantime if you carried out a search on Basra and cemetery (on this site) , and tick the box for older than 30(?) days you should find a few previous threads on Basra.

Just to add that an image of Basra Indian Tower Gate can be seen at Click here

Good Luck

Stuart

Graham

These graves are in the care of CWGC but, for obvious reasons, matters are on hold at the moment.

The cemeteries have had some tidying up attention from coalition forces but major renovation is on hold until the situation improves. There will be a further assessment of the situation later this month and news on the future of Basra Memorial.

Your relative's grave may or may not be in good condition at this moment but it will be returned to CWGC's high standards as soon as the situation allows - alas that may be some time - but he will not be forgotten.

Welcome to the Forum.

Guest Russell.Gore@crawley.gov.uk

According to an Article in the Mail on Sunday a few weeks ago,the local American c.o. of Basra asked for volunteers from his Troops to help in their off duty time to help Clean and tidy up military cemeteries in his area,the response was staggering,so many men and women volunteered,that a shift roster had to be introduced.