Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Why a blank MIC

Isabel'sgrandad

Good evening.

I did post this earlier this morning, but I for some reason I don't think I was successful, probably because I tried to attach an MIC to the post.

If it did post correctly, apologies for the second attempt.

Perhaps this query should be placed on The Medal Forum, but I suspect that from the tremendous amount of knowledge on this site, the question will be answered. :D

During my research into the names on the War Memorial in my village, Goff Oak, I have now identified a and found a fair amount of information, including MICs, on 29 or 30 or the 32 names thereon.

What is now puzzling me is this.

One name Eric MACINTOSH, was a Lieutenant in The Hertfordshire regiment, KIA 31.7.17, I have found a 1917 newspaper outlining his death and bravery.

He is remembered on The Menin gate.

His MIC card is shown; it shows his name, rank, regiment and date of death, BUT it is blank, in respect of his entitlement.

(Hopefully I have managed to attach this)....I still haven't caught up with technology.

QUESTION: Is there any reason for this anomaly?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards

Brian

Hi Brian,

The most likely reason is that his NOK did not apply for his medals after the war. In the case of other ranks, their medals were sent out automatically to their named NOK, but for officers their NOK had to apply--if they did not then the medals would not be issued. Hence a blank card.

Robert

Good afternoon Robert.

Very many thanks for the reply.

I knew I'd discover the answer on here, a veritable cornucopia of knowledge.

Much appreciated.

Regards

Brian

• 1 month later...

Hi Brian, I am afraid I can't add anything RE: the MIC although I am interested in Lt Macintosh. I am working on a project regarding the Herts Regt which specifically looks at 31/07/1917 and the casualties of that day. Could I ask what you have learned about the action and whether you would be able to post the article you mention on here?

Many thanks

Dan