Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unknown uniforms

hummerfan

Right hand picture looks to be a Great War vintage Artilleryman, probably a driver as he has spurs on and a crop. He is wearing a simplified pattern jacket which may date the picture towards the middle of the war.

I cannot make out much on the left hand photo although judging by the ribbons and the nature of the photo it is a post WWI image (poss 30s/40s vintage)

Chris

A near identical uniform was worn by the West Midlands police from about 1929 to 39. Village Bobby outside the village police station?

The policemen has quite a few medals, four or five, so maybe WW2 service indicated. The police wore a high necked tunic until the early 1950's, but specials continued to wear it after regular police werre issued with the open necked tunic. The photo looks 1950's to me.

I'm sticking my neck out on the soldier - is that an RA badge ? The circular section looks too big to be the gun wheel, I can't make out the "Ubique" scroll above the gun, and the "Quo Fas" etc scroll looks more compex than the RA badge.

The house in the background looks 30/40's, police uniform although the whistle was usually worn in the left breast pocket with the pocket book. Good set ofmedal ribbons though.

regards

Dave

Centurion,

West Midlands Police did not exist until mid 1970s so I am afraid your info is incorrect. Prior to that the boroughs had their own constabularies.

Regards

TT

Most Police forces tended to copy what the Metropolitan Police did. That particular style of tunic with 7 buttons came into use with the Met in 1934 and started to be replaced in 1948 (when the open collared jacket for wear with shirt and tie started coming into use). So my money would be somewhere between those dates.

I have photos of my father still wearing the police tunic without chest pockets and his number on the collar as late as 1940 and so it is not possible to generalise about what the various constabularies wore. They did not by any means all follow the Met slavishly, because just as today, the individual force (invariably county at that time) budgets and the priorities for spending were very different between say a rural and an urban constabulary.

The British Army's India Pattern Blue Serge Frock looked very similar except that it generally had 5, instead of 7 buttons.

• 1 month later...