Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Miscellaneous badges - What are these?

depaor01

Hi all,

Around 30 years ago I asked my mother to randomly pick some items out of a box of oddments in a local coins and medals shop. In hindsight I should have asked her more often! - I now have some nice brass sleeve emblems - crossed axes, crossed flags and a nice Layer's "L" - all described elsewhere on the forum.

HOWEVER along with those items, and recently rediscovered from that haul I found these three items. I believe one might be a naval sweetheart brooch, the "R" I think is WWI and the tiger I haven't a clue.

Could anyone hazard a guess as to their vintage and what exactly they are? I've photographed front and back.

post-42233-0-52155000-1361567074_thumb.j

Many thanks,

Dave

Hi Dave,

The two buttons are Naval and appear to be attached to the remains of a tie-pin. The letter 'R' looks very much like(from memory) the Rough Riders 'R' as in City of London Yeomanry? and the 'tiger' looks a little like the Gordon Highlanders collar badge.

Of course I could be totally wrong on all these!!

Robert

Robert the R does remind of the Rough Riders, I've never seen it before, probably deserves a few more eyes on it.

Mick

The tiger is very similar to the Leicstershire Regt tiger but I don't think it's a collar dog. Fairly certain that isn't a Rough Riders R, the R they used has a pronounced > shape to the top right hand side of the R where is that one is nicely rounded.

Fairly certain that isn't a Rough Riders R, the R they used has a pronounced > shape to the top right hand side of the R where is that one is nicely rounded.

Trying to find a good photo to compare and failing, but could be the seperate R for "rangefinder", as worn within a wreath.

Thanks for the input so far. Andrew you could be onto something there. The L on my layer's badge is similar in style and height to the R. I wasn't aware these badges were made in two parts. There's no evidence of the R ever having been attached to anything.

Dave.

I wonder whether the R is actually not military but a police collar letter. In London, R division or district covers the Greenwich area and in days gone by, coppers collar numbers would have been R 999 etc. I know they are 2 letters now, RG, but yonks ago it was just one letter. Just a left field thought.

Thanks for the input so far. Andrew you could be onto something there. The L on my layer's badge is similar in style and height to the R. I wasn't aware these badges were made in two parts. There's no evidence of the R ever having been attached to anything.

Two-piece badges make logistic sense, as you can just match up the required centre with a wreath as necessary, however personal experience proves they are quite fragile in use, hence one piece badges become somewhat preferable!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Lewis-Gunner-Machine-Bren-Gun-Trade-Lapel-Laurel-Wreath-Cap-Badge-/360599764506?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item53f56bbe1a

I wonder whether the R is actually not military but a police collar letter. In London, R division or district covers the Greenwich area and in days gone by, coppers collar numbers would have been R 999 etc. I know they are 2 letters now, RG, but yonks ago it was just one letter. Just a left field thought.

I seriously doubt it is a Police collar letter, as they are generally no more than 2cm tall, and with certain very rare exceptions inevitably both quite plainly styled and made in white metal or chrome finish.

On a mobile phone so difficult to link proof, but that is definitely the R from a two-piece Rangefinder badge.

I seriously doubt it is a Police collar letter, as they are generally no more than 2cm tall, and with certain very rare exceptions inevitably both quite plainly styled and made in white metal or chrome finish.

As I said, left field thought. With no scale on the photo, I have no idea how tall it is. I'll keep my ideas to my self next time. Sorry