Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Internment Isle of Man WW!

Nelly56

Hi I have posted on the POW/Internment camps but have had no response so thought I would try here.

I am trying to trace my great grandfather, Charles (Karl?) Bondy, he was Austrian. From info given to a great uncle (from Barnados) who was sent to Canada as a British Home Child we know that he was sent to a POW camp on the Isle of Man in 1914. He was born around 1874 in Vienna. Any ideas on how to find out anything would be gratefully received, we can find no further trace of him or his wife who was British.

thank you.

Nelly,

Welcome to the Forum. Your Great Grandfather appears in the 1911 census {England} as Charles Bondy, born in Austria. He is living with his wife Florence and 9 children. This census is available on Ancestry and elsewhere.

Try contacting the Manx National Heritage Library, using this link http://www.manxnationalheritage.im/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/bibliographies-internment-during-World-Wars-1-2.pdfThey have a list on internees which they can check for you.

Regards,

Alf McM

Thank you both. I have been on ancestry, but have had to curtail my spending lately so cannot access it at present. I have some info about the camps and will contact manx heritage. Thank you both again.

• 1 year later...

Reading the previous posts has been totally amazing.... my wife is from Liverpool and during ww1 her nan was shipped off to a convent aged 4 because her dad was interned on the isle of man. His name was William Beaumont and he was never heard of again. The family always assumed he returned to Germany. They didn't have money so that would have meant Knockaloe camp???

• 1 year later...

We would be very happy to help all internee descendants in their search for more information.

We are a registered charity based on the Isle of Man set up to develop a Visitors Centre at Knockaloe and create an archive, both to reinstate the lost records of Knockaloe Internment camp, but also to collate the human stories for future generations. If you would like our help, our website is www.knockaloe.im which summarises the charity's work and provides contact details.