Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal ID suggestions please

battiscombe

can anyone identify these medals [L to R as looking at it] - the first i am not sure- then a MM- then maybe Africa GS medal (?) - and then 1914 ribbon at end [not clear but more evident in some other ribbon groups on photo]. this is a RHA Farrier Staff Sgt? in 1919 with 5 overseas chevrons including 1914 one..

any suggestions welcome..

post-7621-0-24589500-1361473463_thumb.jp

OK, here goes.... First suggestion:

1911 Coronation Medal

Africa General Service Medal

Queen's South Africa Medal

King's South Africa.

Strange if the picture is 1919, for that order as Coronation and Jubilee Medals moved from the front to where they are today. So if it is 1919 - definitely, I will says this:

Distinguished Conduct Medal

Military Medal

1914 or 1914-15 Star.

thanks. I had wondered about the Coronation medal but that seemed odd. The man and colleagues are wearing their 5 overseas chevrons and they are in a German barracks it would seem and all those with 5 chevrons have the same 1914 ribbon. The QSA makes some sense and a couple of other senior NCOs have that same ribbon. I will see if any possibilities for a DCM. thanks again..

OK, here goes.... First suggestion:

1911 Coronation Medal

Africa General Service Medal

King's South Africa.

Strange if the picture is 1919, for that order as Coronation and Jubilee Medals moved from the front to where they are today. So if it is 1919 - definitely, I will says this:

Distinguished Conduct Medal

Military Medal

1914 or 1914-15 Star.

Can't be suggestion 1, because the 1911 Coronation would come at the other end by 1919, and also the AGS would come after the QSA. More likely suggestion 2, DCM, MM, and then possibly QSA, IGS'O8 and ?? 1914 Star---it really becomes very difficult after the MM.

That's why I made two suggestions. And I'd say there isn't room for another between the 'QSA' and the Star; fair point on the AGS, instituted 1902, so it would come after a QSA/KSA. So, as noted, suggestion 2.

I think this Percy Falgate is indeed a good possibility. thanks all. I have yet to see the RHA Bde diary as there may indeed be some clues there to who remained with the unit in Germany