Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Belgian Soldier w/ Medal

YankeeDiv

I got these a while ago...I don't know much about the medal...I was wondering if anyone has any info on the soldier and his unit. I believe his name is Leon Heamon or Heamour...Thanks for any help.

close up of name

post-95843-0-84723700-1361411090_thumb.j

Hello Yankee,

The medal is: knight in the order of Leopold II. I see he got a palm on the ribbon. There is a chance your soldier got killed in the war. A soldier who got killed was awarded posthumesly: knight of the Leopold II order with silver palm, War cross with palm, Victory medal and Commemotarion medal 1914-1918. But I see on that photograph he already wear these medals. I hope he survived the war. There is another medal too. Is there a chance to get a better photograph please? Maybe we see frontstripes or a better view on the medals?

kind regards,

Jef

Thank you yankee for the better pic. I believe your soldier survived the war alright The medal which I was not able to ID is the Ijzer medal ( on top). I was hoping your soldier was wearing the fire cross 'cause there is a database about this. A friend of mine is publishing the Royal Decrees ( an equivalent of the London Gazette, but Belgian) . So far only 1914/1915 and 1916 were published. Love4history, a user of this forum and a very able researcher on medals, is making an index about these books.

1914/1915 is ready but no Heamour , Hamoir.... of that kind. For the moment Love 4History is working on the 1916 part.

I will PM Roel (L4H) about this post. I hope he will be able to help.

Wish you every succes,

Jef

Hi Jef and Ken

Jef, you're forgetting that the Firecross was only established in the Mid'30's A lot of these veteran pics are taken early post-war or in the '20's. Mr. Léon Hamoir from the village of Esneux can be found in the 1937 edition of the "Guldenboek" on pg 243. http://www.tenboome.webruimtehosting.net/guldenboek/Guldenboekprojecttotaal/

Unfortunately no extra picture but with confirmation of his medal entitlement (and the info that he was injured severely)

WIll check for any citation but it's a long shot. Still busy indexing 1916

cheers

l4h

Believe it or not: further reference. In the "Moniteur Belge" (the Belgian version of the London Gazette) dated 25-31/03/1916 we find the Royal Decree of Feb. 29th 1916 which gives a list of military personnel awarded the Order of Leopold II (Knights' grade) because of heavy injuries resulting in permanent "mutilation". One of the names on the list is that of Hamoir L. Unfortunately no further info on the events that caused his injury. Perhaps he might appear again with another decoration in a later edtion of the MB.

Thanks Jef for pointing out the post to me and thank you Ken for posting the pictures. A hard-earned medal you have there!

Edited by love4history

Yes, of course Roel. The firecross was only established at the end of 1934.... silly me :blush: :blush:

I have some editions of the "Guldenboek der Vuurkaart" . By chance I have the 1937 edition, so I attache the entry about Soldaat Hamoir. I see his "knight in the order of Leopold II with palm" was in 1937 upgraded to "officer in the Leopold II order with Palm". 2 front stripes, 1 wound stripe.

Roel, I need your assistance once more.... what are those 6 hon., ... it's not mentioned in the abbreviations.

Other abbreviations are Y= Yzer medal,V= Victory medal, C= Commemoration medal 1914-1918

Kind regards,

Jef

post-64837-0-54635400-1361475108_thumb.j

Jef, as you know the regular front stripes indicate the actual time at the front. First one for 12 months I believe and addtl ones for each 6 months extra. The "honorary" ones were awarded not for actual duty at the front but for other reasons, in this case getting severely wounded (although I can't find the Royal Decree or regulation concerning these honorary stripes) . His two front stripes confirm that he must have spent actual time at the front 1914-1915 and was wounded early 1916. 8 front stripes being the maximum that could be earned.

Ken: you asked about the unit: 3rd Artillery Rgt. belonging to 3rd Div.

Edited by love4history

Jef, as you know the regular front stripes indicate the actual time at the front. First one for 12 months I believe and addtl ones for each 6 months extra. The "honorary" ones were awarded not for actual duty at the front but for other reasons, in this case getting severely wounded (although I can't find the Royal Decree or regulation concerning these honorary stripes) . His two front stripes confirm that he must have spent actual time at the front 1914-1915 and was wounded early 1916. 8 front stripes being the maximum that could be earned.

Ken: you asked about the unit: 3rd Artillery Rgt. belonging to 3rd Div.

Thank you Roel, I know the regulations about the front stripes. Didn't know nothing about "honorary" stripes... until now.

thanks again,

Jef

Ken,

Attached is the history of the 3rd Artillery as it is written in the book where I found Leon's name. I'm afraid it's written in dutch, maybe you can translate it with computer. If the attachment is too small, PM me your mailaddress, will send you a better one.

I know you were asking this on l4h, but Roel is very busy making an index for the Royal Decrees 1916.... and I'm looking forward to buy a copie :whistle: .

But maybe Roel has an english version of the 3rd Artillery history?

kind regards,

Jef

post-64837-0-72986400-1361607112_thumb.j

post-64837-0-24420600-1361607128_thumb.j

But maybe Roel has an english version of the 3rd Artillery history

Afraid I don't.

but Roel is very busy making an index for the Royal Decrees 1916.... and I'm looking forward to buy a copie

at Pg 227 of 500. Still a number of looooooooong namelists to index.