Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFC airman No 330 FJ Knight

Tim Knight

My Grandfather (Frank James, sometimes just James or even James Bertram Knight) died in the early 1980s and was something of an enigma, not speaking about his family. However, I have found an old postcard album of his containing photographs of friends and colleagues from the RFC. The postcards addressed to him are dated, so it tells the story of his promotions and the units he served with. I have the following information about him:

14 August 1913, 1st AM No1 Squadron RFC (What was an AM?)

31 December 1913, No 330 AM RFC No1 Squadron (Could 330 be his service number?)

3 April 1914, 1st AM No6 Squadron RFC

26 November 1914, Corporal No1 Squadron RFC

January 1915, Corporal, Reserve Aeroplane Squadron, RFC

29 January 1915, Sergeant, Reserve Aeroplane Squadron, RFC

29 January 1918, Flight Sergeant, 4 Flight H Section RFC

If anyone is interested in the pictures I have, I can provide a list of names on the postcards and send a scanned copy of the picture.

If anyone can provide me with any more information about the squadrons that my grandfather was in at these times, but especially if anyone has any personal information from any references that they have, I would be grateful. Also, any idea what he did between 1915 and 1918 (apart from getting married - he was Flt Sgt in 1917)?

Tim

First of all, welcome to the Forum.

330 was indeed your grandfather's service number in the RFC. According to McInnes and Webb's 'A Contemptible Little Flying Corps' (ISBN 0 948130 98 9) he enlisted in the Rifle Brigade on 4 November 1910 and transferred from 4023 Acting Corporal in the RB to 330 Air Mechanic (AM) in the RFC on 4 July 1912. At the same time he obtained his Acting Schoolmaster's Certificate. He was promoted to 1st Class Air Mechanic in 1914 and was posted overseas on 3 March 1915. A promotion to Flight Sergeant (Misc Discip) came on 1 December 1915 and he retained that rank until he was transferred to the RAF on 1 April 1918.

I hope that this helps a little.

Gareth

Gareth,

Thanks for the confirmation of his service details. What does McInnes and Webb's publication say about his name? The reason for asking this is that he was always known to the family as "Frank". We knew his initals were FJ - "Frank James", yet when I received a copy of his marriage certificate, he was listed as James Bertram Knight. I know this is the right marriage certificate because of certainty over my grandmother's details. Also, one or two of the postcard make reference to "J" or Jim.

I just wish I'd asked about this before he died.

Thanks,

Tim

Tim

He's listed as 330 F J Knight in the book. Some entries include the given names of the man in question but, alas, not this one.

Cheers

Gareth

Gareth,

Thanks for your help with this. Once I knew that 330 was his Service Number, I was able to get a copy of his Service Record from The National Archives (very helpful and friendly bunch). That gave me his place of birth and I now have a hot genealogical trail to follow.

Thanks again,

Tim