Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1914 Star: time between applying for it and receiving it

Moriaty

I have been researching an officer who relinquished his commission on the grounds of ill health in October 1917. In December 1917 he applied for a 1914 Star which he was eligible for, he re-applied again in February 1918. How long would he have to wait before being issued with a 1914 Star?

His MIC only indicates a BM and VM.

Not ever having checked the Medal Rolls at the National Archives I am not sure whether this is the type of informantion that they contain.

Moriaty

Hi Moriaty,

I have checked a number of MIC's which include an application for the 1914 Star, and generally if the Star was applied for in November 1917, then it has usually been issued sometime between 15 and 18 months following this date.

This only relates to officers of course, because as you will no doubt be aware that o/rs medals were sent to their NOK automatically.

In the case of the officer whom you are researching, it is possible that he has a seperate MIC for the 1914 Star, which is not uncommon.

Robert

Thanks Robert, very helpful, is it possible that the 1914 MICs are amongst those "weeded out"? I cant recall seeing a separate 1914 MIC for an officer.

Moriaty

Thanks Robert, very helpful, is it possible that the 1914 MICs are amongst those "weeded out"? I cant recall seeing a separate 1914 MIC for an officer.

Moriaty

Moriaty,

It may well be worth checking the 1914 Star roll for his regiment as this will confirm if the star was ever issued. I have come across two officers who have seperate cards for their 1914 Stars, one an Indian Army officer who later commanded a battalion of the Manchesters and was Kia 1/7/16 and the other an Argylls officer who was Kia 26/8/14. There is an MIC and a duplicate MIC each for the 1914 Star, but I cannot find an MIC for his pair either on Ancestry or at the N.A., he is not on the BWM & VM Roll either!!

Robert

For an officer the date he applied and the date of the 1914 Star being shipped is usually noted on the Medal Index Card. What is the officer's name?

For an officer the date he applied and the date of the 1914 Star being shipped is usually noted on the Medal Index Card. What is the officer's name?

Dick,

I think that the point which Moriaty is making is that he applied for the 1914 Star on two seperate occasions (noted on his MIC) but according to his MIC it was never issued. It does seem a little strange, particularly when he was apparently entitled to a 1914 Star!

Robert

Thanks for the help on this query, it sounds as if a trip to the National Archives to look at the 1914 Star Roll is required.

Apart from the possibility of a separate 1914 MIC, I dont know if it is unusual for an officer to apply for a 1914 Star and for the outcome not to be noted. I will also have another go at deciphering the MIC.

Moriaty

Thanks for the help on this query, it sounds as if a trip to the National Archives to look at the 1914 Star Roll is required.

Apart from the possibility of a separate 1914 MIC, I dont know if it is unusual for an officer to apply for a 1914 Star and for the outcome not to be noted. I will also have another go at deciphering the MIC.

Moriaty

Moriaty,

If you don't want to put his name on the Forum? then please send me a PM and I will check his MIC for you, and see if I can make any sense out of the information contained there upon.

Robert

Thanks to Robert Old Owl for all his help.

I discovered at the National Archives that there are separate 1914 Medal rolls for officers and for OR and any soldiers commissioned during the war.

Moriaty