Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unidentified photograph

scottwestaway

Can anyone help me identify this photo? I would appreciate any info however small that may help me identify the regiment, where/when it was taken, personnel etc.

I have been given it by a family member and all they know is that it may have been taken at a camp in the south of england in 1st world war.

post-94416-0-78737100-1361114101_thumb.j

Looking at that style of photo I would have though earlier than WW1, am no medal expert, but I think some are wearing South Africa pairs so post 1901. The buttons appear black so I think we have men of a Regiment who follow the tradition of a Rifle Regiment, possibly even one of the remaining battalions of Rifle Volunteers who were still in rifle green by this time, but due to the men being more or less of similar age I think regular army rather than volunteers.

G

I replied to this post in the other thread into which it was posted, moderators, please merge..

Can anyone help me identify this photo? I would appreciate any info however small that may help me identify the regiment, where/when it was taken, personnel etc.

I have been given it by a family member and all they know is that it may have been taken at a camp in the south of england in 1st world war.

post-94416-0-78737100-1361114101_thumb.j

These men are almost certainly regulars of either, the Rifle Brigade (RB), or the King's Royal Rifles (KRR), whose uniforms are very similar when viewed in black & white. I believe they are regulars because there is no sign of the Austrian cuff knots of volunteer battalions. The date would be between 1898 and 1902 as the rank and file are wearing field service caps and the SNCOs pillbox caps, both of which were replaced by Brodrick caps in 1902. The SNCOS are also wearing patrol jackets, and they too were phased out from 1902. Both the RB and KRR were large regiments with 4 regular battalions each, whereas the majority of line infantry (albeit not all) had just 2 regular battalions.

Further scrutiny of the photo through a glass indicates that the photo shows a group, possibly a company, of the Rifle Brigade circa 1899-1900. The special, gold cord outlined chevrons of the RB, as enclosed, can be seen on the two SNCOs in patrol jackets seated in the front centre of the image. The windows behind the group look very much like those of the regimental depot at Peninsula Barracks in Winchester, Hants. I hope this helps.

post-599-0-75673900-1361546047_thumb.jpg