Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SMLE brass butt disc.

Guest rosie

Hi.

I have recently acquired a 1918 Lee Enfield SHTLE No.1 MK 3 and was wondering if anyone could help me in identifying what unit the gun may have been registered to. I believe this information is found on the brass disc on the right hand side of the butt. The letters and numbers on the disc are "RE FD SQ 65" I can't seem to find out what these denote anywhere.

SAM_0376.jpg

http://s20.postimage...ml/SAM_0376.jpg

Many thanks, Rosie

Hi Rosie

i am no expert so hang on for a experts explanation, but first reaction is:

ROYAL ENGINEERS 65 FIELD SQUADRON

not sure if that even exists but i reckon its pretty close, someone will soon let you know for sure

all the best

Andy

Andy's suggestion seems logical however this is not a standard unit marking disc format. The font of the markings is also not one I have seen before it looks rather modern to me.

Any chance of some overall views of the rifle. Is it a MkIII or a MkIII*? (with asterisk)

Who is the manufacturer of the rifle (this will usually be on the wrist along with the crown/royal cypher/date/Model etc) If it says Enfield then it is RSAF Enfield , but it might also be LSA/BSA/Ishapore/Lithgow etc. If there is no manufacturer listed there it may be ans SSA/NRF rifle

By 1918 unit marking discs were uncommon and marking unit discs had been discontinued early in the war. The installation and marking of discs was reinstated in the inter-war period so it is possible that the markings date from then or subsequently)

Chris

Thanks for the information guys. I will post a few more pictures of the rifle and the many markings that are on it very soon to see if that will help with the ID of this rifle. And now that you guys have pointed it out, yes the stamp does look modern and out of place compared to the overall look of the rest of the gun.

Many thanks Rosie.