Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Belgium. King Albert Veterans Medal ?

MIDMED

1914 star and clasp medal group containing this medal, Claimed to have been worn by the British veteran during armistice day remembrance day parade at Ypres ( Menin gate ) not directly with but alongside his official great war medals this being sometime between the Wars, could this be correct, does anybody know under what circumstance this medal may have been issued, by who ? to who?

Thanks

post-8029-0-28761700-1360873901_thumb.jp

Hello Midmed,

This is a non official medal instituted in 1948 by a veteran organisation :Federatie van oud strijders veteranen Koning Albert/Federation National des Veterans du Roi Albert. It was a medal meant for its members, long service. You also can find this medal with palms on the ribbon. Bronze for 3 years; Silver fo 5 years and Gold for 8 years membership.

kind regards,

Jef

I seem to recall a local WW1 veteran wearing this ribbon with his BWM, VIC & Defence medal ones in the mid-1970s, and explaining to me that it was a Belgian award. He had married a Belgian lady, so I wonder if he was a member of the Veterans du Roi?

Clive

Hello again midmed,

Saw on the internet this veteranorganisation still exists. Only the name changed a bit. If I may translate the new name: Royal league of veterans and sympathizing people of King Albert :http://www.albert1.eu/topic/index.html

I also have the paperwork of the medal in your post. Sorry, the document was too large for my scanner, in this way I scanned it twice and joined it.

The name of the medal is : Veterancross of King Albert I

kind regards,

Jef

post-64837-0-59711100-1360958885_thumb.j

I seem to recall a local WW1 veteran wearing this ribbon with his BWM, VIC & Defence medal ones in the mid-1970s, and explaining to me that it was a Belgian award. He had married a Belgian lady, so I wonder if he was a member of the Veterans du Roi?

Clive

Hello Clive

Second time come across this medal that would seem to be legitimately with group of British Great War campaign medals , sadly I have seen a few that I strongly suspect have been just added to a group of medals to perhaps enhance commercial value. I have yet to find someone or something who can tell me without doubt the circumstance in which this medal may have been awarded to a member of the B.E.F, as we know medals were ( less frequently than one might imagine ) awarded to and fro between the allied armies, so one might think the Albert veterans medal could have been worn by members of the B.E.F between the war at remembrance day parades etc ,etc , but still if we apply the rule of archaeology there is no evidence that I have found to substantiate the presence of said medal, no paper work no medal one might say ?

Very many thanks

T

Hello again midmed,

Saw on the internet this veteranorganisation still exists. Only the name changed a bit. If I may translate the new name: Royal league of veterans and sympathizing people of King Albert :http://www.albert1.eu/topic/index.html

I also have the paperwork of the medal in your post. Sorry, the document was too large for my scanner, in this way I scanned it twice and joined it.

The name of the medal is : Veterancross of King Albert I

kind regards,

Jef

Hello Jef

Thanks very much old man for info & document, it is the first time I have seen something like this regarding the Albert medal, One would imagine a document with a British veterans details on it would be rare indeed if such a thing exits at all..

Question ... Has La Croix ever been awarded to a British Veteran by The Les Veterans Du Roi (1909-1934)?

Sir many thanks

T

I'm afraid there is not much info on this medal as it is a non official medal. This medal could not have been between the wars, it was instituted in 1948.

kind regards,

Jef

• 2 weeks later...

Jef

A big thank you for your help

very best mate

• 7 years later...

A number of Chums of The Old Contemptibles' Association were members of this Federation, and the two organisations had very close links. The Nominal Roll of the Jersey Branch, held by the Jersey Archive in St Helier, includes the membership number of those Chums who had joined. The photographs are of two Chums who were members of the Federation: Chum Edwin 'Ted' Farley M.M. of the Birmingham Branch and Chum Jeremiah 'Jerry' Haley of the Guildford Branch. 

IMG_20190917_140647.jpg

93840226_2868914043143633_1121809010622726144_o.jpg