Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

cameronians entitled to igs waziristan 19-21?

adam1981

i know this post isnt strictly great war, but

i have seen this medal to 201163,CPL..B, SHEARD.2nd SR

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SILVER-INDIA-GENERAL-SERVICE-MEDAL-WAZIRISTAN-CLASP-IN-VGC-/251226537944?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item3a7e44bfd8

my research is not showing the scottish rifles as being entitled to this bar, does any one know where i can get the medal roll for this bar/medal?

also the soldiers great war medal index card shows him as being west yorkshire regiment 201163 and cameronians 64272. not the 201163 cameronians as described on this listing? the index card has no mention of the igs. he is entitled to an MM as 201163 west yorks. but i cant explain this medal.

could this be a calcutta mint issue? or is it simply a renamed medal made by the disgruntled Corporal Sheard?

and help would be appreciated?

201163,CPL..B, SHEARD.2nd SR

no idea why this came out so small!

My ancient copy (1961) of Gordon's British Battles and medals shows no involvement of the Cameronians, Besides an astonishing 50 battalions of the Indian Army being employed (with cavalry and artillery support and five squadrons of the RAF) he lists

• The Queen's
  • 2 Norfolks
  • R.W.Fusiliers
  • Border Regiment
  • W. Yorks

He does list Armoured Motor Batteries of the Machine Gun Corps ( Nos 7. 6, and 5). Might your man be attached within one of these? Was there a battalion of Cameronians in India at the time, not on active service?

Edited by Ian Riley

Cameronians enlistment book has him attesting 1/3/19 under Army Number 3234912, previous Cameronian number 64272, and previous service with West Yorkshire Regiment, number 201163. Arriving India 1/11/19. Discharged at Hamilton on 7/1/23. No medal awards are recorded. Re-enlists Royal Artillery (regular army) on 22/3/39. 2nd Battalion were in India - part of Koicol column sent to Iraq in 1923 and awarded the GSM Kurdistan clasp.

My chronicle shows the 2nd Bn Scottish Rifles arriving in India at Quetta January 1922. This Bn was in Mesopotamia 1919-1921. The 1st Bn Cameronians was at home 1919-1931.

The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) Regimental History Volume II has the 2nd Battalion leaving for India in the Autumn 1919.

"After two years in India, first at Rawal Pindi and Kuldana (Murree), and then at Kohat and the Tirah on the north-west Frontier training in mountain warfare, the battalion moved in 1922 to Quetta.

The 2nd Battalion was selected to join the force and moving by rail from Quetta to Karachi, embarked for Basra, arriving at Hinaidi (Baghdad) on the 23rd of February. [1923]"