Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Snow on the Somme (a little bit)

Tom Tulloch-Marshall

A bit more snow on the Somme during the last week - nowhere near as much as before, but when you are only there on & off ...

post-108-0-64897100-1360866682_thumb.jpg

post-108-0-53082000-1360866731_thumb.jpg

Tom

No snow here in Ypres just very cold . Would appreciate it if you dont send it our way!!!

• Admin

Looks very cold at Caterpillar Valley.

Michelle

the bottom photo of a cemetery - which one is it of please, i have an earlier posted photo from 2010 as my computer desktop screen & all my work mates ask where its to! i know its on the somme but not sure where

As Michelle says, it's Caterpillar Valley, just outside Longueval .... photographed from an interesting angle. I haven't been there in the depths of winter, but I once walked around it in the dark, on my own, in October, nervously smoking several cigarettes as I went. Actually, it was extremely peaceful and not remotely spooky .... unlike Mametz Wood in only half-darkness ...

post-108-0-97666900-1360881626_thumb.jpg

post-108-0-14690900-1360881667_thumb.jpg

Top photo is Connaught cemetery ?

Yes, and Ulster Tower (obviously !)

Tom

Not all the snow was welcome – this was near Devonshire cemetery, when, reversing down the track, the car decided on a 45º backwards meander into the off-road snow. A spade has been on the “what to take to France” list for a couple of decades now and has paid for itself many times over :thumbsup:

post-108-0-66045000-1360926958_thumb.jpg

Tom

Top photo is Connaught cemetery ?

i had worked that one out due to the Ulster tower, the 2nd one threw me due to angle - but was the same angle from a 2010 photo used from the web - but untagged, thanks for the help

• 3 weeks later...

Still pretty cold on the Somme, this is by Marlborough Wood last w/end ! I must add that this was the worst we saw, it was mainly on the verges here and there. Fields OK to hike but Redan Ridge was especially cold, wrap up warm !!

dscf0843v.jpg[/img]

Christmas Day 2010

John – Guards Cemetery at Lesboeufs. (It was before & after photos from there which disproved the claim that inscriptions were not being changed on some replacement headstones).

Tom

Looks like Caterpillar Valley to me, Tom ...

Blimey Gunner – you’re right.

Should have gone to Specsavers :w00t:

Tom

It is Caterpillar Valley. 2010 we had lots of snow and all of the villages were blocked in. The farmers were working overtime to clear the roads. Drifts were up to 8' as the snow was blowing off the fields. We and the Piuk's went to see to the Tower Cat's on boxing day. Three and a half hours return journey & we had to walk the last half mile. Cat's were fine!

Tom, your before and after photos were very importand. Good job done.

All the best.

John

A few years ago on the Somme I got caught in a blizzard whilst on the Redan Ridge, had approx 150mm before I got back to my B&B, the next day went down to Carnoy and not a single flake of the white stuff to be seen!. Guess which area I spent walking round the next couple of days.

Dave

A few years ago on the Somme I got caught in a blizzard whilst on the Redan Ridge, had approx 150mm before I got back to my B&B, the next day went down to Carnoy and not a single flake of the white stuff to be seen!. Guess which area I spent walking round the next couple of days.

Dave

Ypres?

Ypres?

Come on Ken you could have done better than that it was ......................Loos