Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Discovery website, National Archives

Beselare

I was quite happy using the old National Archives website, but the new Discovery website I am find as user-friendly as a cornered rat. Each time I type in what I am looking for, there are over 100,000 entries! Can someone please let me know the correct procedure to obtain an online war diary. For example, if I wanted the 6th Battalion, Ox & Bucks Light Infantry, what words should I use and in which box? (I know the WO number, and I can obtain it that way, but assume I didn't have that nujmber).

Many thanks

Bob

There are some options in its advanced search, but you can still access the old catalogue. From the home page, select "Records" then you will go to a screen that at the moment gives you a chance to select "The catalogue".

If you find like many of us Discovery to be a pain, do use the contact options and explain to them why it makes your life so hard. The more that do so, the longer we will have practical and useful access while they sort out Discovery to make it useful, if they ever can.

Keith

I also find it is easier to type in the Brigade e.g. 10 Brigade as they bundle together war diaries from the same brigade

Better get used to Dscovery as the old Catalogue will be removed pretty soon. The easiest way to find a diary is this. I'll use the 1st South Staffords as an example

Go to Discovery

Click on Advanced Search

For your search term in Keyword Options: enter 1 South Staffordshire

Further down the page you will see Search Within: enter WO95

Click the floating green Search button on the top right

Job done

When searching for War Diaries, I start from this page -

www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/war-diaries-ww1.htm

Andrewr

What can I say except thank you very much to everyone. It gives me some peace of mind in knowing that I am not the only one to find Discovery difficult. But as the old system is going to go, I had better get used to it. Graeme - your link to ARCRE was certainly easy to use and I have just registered with them. I hope it will be easy to order online copies from them.

Bob