Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

East Lancashire regiment shoulder titles

dutch701

From Ray Westkake Collecting Metal Shoulder Titles: The only titles for the East Lancashire regiment mentioned are ELANCASHIRE, E. LANCASHIRE, E.LANCASHIRE, E. LANC, E.LANCS, and E.LAN.R. The EAST LANCS in your photo is not noted in this reference.

Thanks Ray,

that's a mistery then , do you think this set of titles could be of some civilian uniform, such as a railway man as we had the East Lancashire railway in the same area as the East Lancashire regiments.

Thanks Ray,

that's a mistery then , do you think this set of titles could be of some civilian uniform, such as a railway man as we had the East Lancashire railway in the same area as the East Lancashire regiments.

I checked another reference Military Badges of the British Empire 1914-1918 by Reginald Cox. The EAST LANCS title from your original photo is shown. So, I stand corrected. This title would have been worn by both regular battalions and, likely, the Service Bns of this Regiment.

Territorial titles for the East Lancs.....

post-357-0-83741000-1360779881_thumb.jpg

post-357-0-11432900-1360779889_thumb.jpg

...and the standard title as worn by the regulars and the service battalions (though it was also worn by the territorials later in the war.....this one belonged to a relative of mine who served in the 2/5th East Lancs).....

post-357-0-00286000-1360780277_thumb.jpg

The 'EAST LANCS' title is, I believe, the bottom section of the East Lancashire Red Cross title.

Dave

Hi

...and the standard title as worn by the regulars and the service battalions (though it was also worn by the territorials later in the war.....this one belonged to a relative of mine who served in the 2/5th East Lancs).....

Hi Dave, thanks for the info, would the shoulder title belonging to your relative be the same for the 2/4th Bn East Lancs.

Shane

Most certainly. (Though, of course, the 'official' title would still be the one depicted in post # 6)